Saturday 15 December 2018

Return To The Polar Express...

Evening all. Yesterday was my last day of work for 2018 and I can't tell you how joyful I am at being finished for Christmas! Today, with time on my hands, I'd decided to go over to the former 84E at Tyseley Loco Works to help with preparations for this evenings 'Polar Express' workings. The 'Polar Express' has been operating Thursday through Sunday throughout December and has been very well received amongst children and adults alike. Many thousands of seats have been sold and countless hot chocolates and cookies devoured! I arrived at our Birmingham base at just before 09:00. The warming orange rays of sunshine were certainly trying to take the chill away on this freezing morning. The drive over was icy and bleak and the ominous sight of thick frost atop boilers and sleepers in the Tyseley yard didn't make me feel any warmer! Down on 'Five Road' and already lit up was 4965 "Polar Star"...
"Polar Star"s alter ego is of course 1929-built "Rood Ashton Hall" who has been the stalwart performer throughout these Christmas diagrams. This morning, myself and Tony would be helping Batesy prepare the increasingly famous 4965 for her evening appearances. As well as being the 'Shakespeare Express' engine for so many years, the Hall is now making memories for thousands of visitors as "Polar Star". Whilst Batesy prepared the five-glass hydrostatic lubricator, I put a few rounds of coal on the embryo fire to help build pressure. The engine was still warm from last nights antics and wouldn't take long to brew up today. I was then set to work cleaning down the smokebox which involved a stroll along the running board...
The ECS departure from Tyseley is just after 14:00 and therefore the engine is usually taken over after lunch at 13:00. This gives us a timescale in which to work. With the smokebox complete, I buffed up the boiler barrel whilst Tony made a start on cleaning the running boards. Before the engine was brought forward I also polished the cab sides. With pressure now fast approaching the red line, 4965 was feathering loudly outside the shed whilst Batesy finished up the oiling...
Before 4965 left shed we decided to polish the tender and so the engine duly hissed forward after receiving the disc signal. Tender polished, we took the engine gently over onto the waiting stock. The 47' was already ticking away on the tail end of the train, providing Electric Train Heating to draw out the cold. With departure time nearing, I wandered back to my car to fetch the rest of my kit. Around the turntable stood a recent arrival: 34053 "Sir Keith Park": a Battle of Britain Class pacific formerly based on the Severn Valley. One of the things I love about Tyseley is the fact that there is always something new to see in and around the yard...
"Polar Star" patiently awaits her ECS departure for Moor Street...
Right on time, 4965 hissed into life and hauled the empty train to the bustling Platform 3 at Moor Street station. Here the remaining members of the team join the train before the 47' hauls us into the sidings to await a path to Platform 4...
Having not yet seen the entire 'Polar Express' performance, I joined the first round trip as staff. I was very impressed at the high standard of the cast and really enjoyed seeing them in action. Again, I cannot recommend the 'Polar Express' highly enough: give it a try and experience something entirely different from your usual 'Santa Special'. After the first round trip and with lots more happy passengers queuing to join us, we were hauled back into the sidings to await our next path. Once 4965 had loudly taken us into Platform 4 in a cloud of steam, the hoards of passengers for the next trip were led to us by the Conductor. It was quite magical to see the looks on peoples faces when they first saw "Polar Star" - with headlamp shining brightly - simmering away at the head of their train. I managed to grab a quick shot just moments before departure... 
The train runs to within feet of the Tyseley Museum site and so I alighted after a pleasant trip and a bit on the 'Polar Express'. 4965 was feathering loudly as she awaited the off towards Moor Street with the return run... 
Wandering through the dimly lit loco shed past the slumbering Castles, I reflected on a very nice afternoon. It's a pleasure to be back on the main line - if only briefly - with these fine machines and I can't wait until we start travelling further afield again. Thank you all for reading and of course, Merry Christmas. Until next time, Sam...
Please note that any descriptions or opinions given on this blog are entirely my own and do not in any way reflect the descriptions or opinions of the company in any way, shape or form. I speak only as a willing and enthusiastic volunteer of the group

No comments: