Friday 1 February 2019

Welcome Back "Bahamas"...

Evening all. Tonight on the way home from work I couldn't help but think about the LMS Jubilee "Bahamas" which was out 'on trial' in the area. The Jub had two tests planned for today: a round trip to Stratford and back in the morning and a loaded run around the Leicester circuit this evening. It was only a couple of miles out of my way to reach a bridge which crossed the Jub's route so I decided to stop by and see her. Due to pass through Nuneaton at 16:13 with her test train, I pulled up at Horsten Grange (where two bridges cross the line towards Hinckley) with around 10 minutes to spare. It was absolutely freezing as I trudged across the field to reach the second bridge, which is a farm access: the other one has too much traffic noise! A couple of minutes down, with the temperature barely above freezing, 45596 steamed into view with her distinctive three-cylinder beat echoing from her double chimney. Here is my grainy video attempt; by now I'd lost all feeling in my fingers...

One of the reasons I've never really been keen on spotting main line steam is that it's all over in a matter of seconds! Sure enough, once under the bridge, "Bahamas" was well on her way towards Leicester and beyond. She sounded a treat as she dug into the gradient with her short train. Once passed off, the 1935-built Jub will return to her home at the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway in Yorkshire, ready to commence revenue earning main line duties. I'm sure I'll see her again at Tyseley this Saturday but it was still very nice to catch her in flight! Thanks all, Sam...

1 comment:

Jake Bonner said...

Great video Sam, I was out at Whitlocks End, Hinckley and Burton on Trent for 45596 on that loaded test run she did.
Regards
Jake