Saturday 26 September 2020

Steam at Quorn: An End Of Season Thing...

The end of September normally brings two things: autumn and end of season steam gatherings. This years steam season has to have been the shortest since the birth of preservation, having only really began following the easing of lockdown at the end of June. Sadly, Covid-19 continues its merciless rampage across the UK, affecting the health, jobs and livelihoods of millions. I can only hope that we can return to some form of normality as early as possible next year, though unfortunately even I remain doubtful. All that aside, this weekend saw a small socially distanced steam event taking place on the dusty apron of Quorn & Woodhouse Station yard on the Great Central Railway. As Batesy had his 1925-built Aveling & Porter steam roller there, I didn't take much persuading once an invitation came my way. I arrived at Quorn a little before 09:30, in crisp conditions. Under the beautiful blue skies stood the pretty Ivatt Class 2 Mogul No46521, built at Swindon in 1953...
The Mogul was simmering quietly at the head of a five-coach train, carefully steam heating as mask-wearing passengers boarded. The GCRs Covid service sees departures from Quorn only, returning via Leicester North and thus keeping the public clear of its Loughborough base. The returning trains drop off here before returning to the headquarters of the GCR for cleaning prior to the next working. Having admired the Ivatt, a Guards whistle heralded her on time departure. Summoning her strength, the 2-6-0 departed in a cloud of condensate. I was as green as her livery with envy as I longed to be aboard the footplate again! With the Ivatt clear of the station, a rumbling Class 40 soon appeared shoving the hissing bulk of BR Standard Class 5 No73156 into position for display in the yard. This engine was built at Doncaster in 1956...
After a prolonged absence from Tyseley, it was nice to see some big railway engines moving around. Having met up with Batesy, he tasked me with lighting up the roller. He kindly granted permission for me to imagine I was "on the Castle", so I did! Soon enough, with all of the usual checks made, a pile of rags were lit on the shovel before being flung onto the grate. It felt good to be lighting something up...
With the rags burning nicely, a generous helping of dry wood was added from a bag in the bunker. Once the wood had taken hold, a few rounds of Welsh coal were added and the engine left to "get on with it". Watched pots never boil they say...and it's quite true! By now Caroline was beneath the engine ashing out, whilst Phil was starting to white spirit the barrel down. I followed him round with a buffing off rag, before setting to work on some of the top brasses. The fire was crackling away nicely in the firebox, with the reassuring plume of smoke rising steadily from the chimney confirming that all was well. "Louise" looked quite a picture as she brewed up under the persistent morning sun. I really like the registration number applied to the headstock: it seems to give the engine a whole new look. As usual the engine was presented in fine condition...
As the engine quietly raised steam, I went around with the oil cans. Phil and Caroline are very happy for even the rarest of helpers like myself to get involved with the engine, and for that I'm very grateful. It was a quiet and stress-free morning on the yard, with a chilly autumnal breeze blowing through to help drive away the smoke...
It often feels quite alien to be aboard one of these strange iron road steamers. I've never had the greatest confidence with them, simply through lack of experience I would imagine. Give me something that stands atop rails and sleepers and I can get my head around it fairly quickly, but put me on road wheels and I lose all sense of control! Joking aside, it's always nice to experience something a little different and learn some new skills. It was pleasant just to be around the engine today...
Whilst I topped up the various oiling points, Phil was busy slaving away over a hot camping stove to create us a fine breakfast. I swear it was the tastiest I've had in many a year and my compliments must go to the chef for a great effort...
Another thing that was very pleasant about today was seeing plenty of people we know...socially distanced of course! At events like this we never fail to bump into a few faces and today was no exception. After such a steam drought this year, shut away from our countless acquaintances, it was lovely to be able to chat with some of them for a bit and pass some time. Later on, I got to drive "Louise" up and down the yard, much to Phils amusement as he knows I find it all quite different...
Having taken water from seemingly the worlds slowest hosepipe, I cautiously backed the engine down the yard as the steady crowds of visitors parted to let us through. The engine came to rest (of her own accord) outside the beer shed and a local pint of ale was duly enjoyed in the company of 46521. The Ivatt was, by now, on her last working of the day with a relief crew having taken over from the morning pair...
Here, two Aveling rollers slowly trundle through Quorn yard...
As the time neared 5pm it was time to hit the road. By now there was a chilling wind and the dark skies were threatening rain. Heading home along the A46, I reflected on what an enjoyable little day it had been. I must thank Phil and Caroline for their kind hospitality: it is always appreciated. Take care all, Sam...

No comments: