Saturday 25 September 2021

Shackerstone Remembers Dave Johnson...

Throughout my time in this hobby I've met some great people and one of those great people was Dave Johnson. Dave was a huge part of the Battlefield Line, being involved from the early years and eventually becoming the President of the Shackerstone Railway Society. When I first started volunteering at Shackerstone at age 15 in the January of 2007, Dave was one of the first people to set me to work and it was lovely (as a then newbie) to come across such a kind and approachable person. I remember working with him on his then pride and joy: Bagnall No2648 of 1941, then named "Linda" after Daves wife. The Bagnall had been a stalwart of Shackerstone services at one time and still operates today under a new owner based at Chasewater. 

When I was 16 I joined the Shackerstone footplate crew as a trainee fireman and remember fondly a particular day working "Sir Gomer" with Dave on a station pilot turn. Dave kindly allowed me to drive the engine and this experience therefore became the first time I'd ever driven a standard gauge locomotive and no doubt helped to pave the way for pretty much everything that has came along since! When you're young these things stick with you and I'll be forever grateful to Dave for that drive. Across my time with the Battlefield Line I had many a pleasant engine turn with Dave, no doubt joined by JB or Eddie as well. I'd describe him as a happy guy and always jovial. He had a great sense of humour and it was always nice to share a day with him. Dave sadly passed away after bravely battling a long illness in January of this year. Tonight, kindly invited by Daves family, a group of Shackerstone members old and new came together to remember lovely Dave with a special train ride... 
It's almost a year since I last went to Shackerstone but I wouldn't have missed the chance to be part of this special evening. With the train planned to depart for Shenton at 17:30, we arrived in good time to see immaculate Modified Hall No6989 "Wightwick Hall" back down onto the waiting stock...
Here, Driver Adrian backs the Hall onto the stock ready for departure...
6989 departed right on time and was soon steaming along the old ex-ANJR metals with a train full of people discussing their various fond memories of Dave. Some of the faces on that train I hadn't seen for many a long year but once you got talking it felt like only yesterday. Although it was a sad occasion, it was lovely to see so many people with so many nice things to say about a great guy. Soon enough, the Hall arrived at a peaceful Shenton and was uncoupled prior to running round...
The sun was certainly smiling on Daves train as we enjoyed a beautiful September evening with hardly a cloud in the sky. The 1948-built Modified Hall was held in the run round loop so that family and friends could get some pictures with her...
A short while later, 6989 hisses northward ready to rejoin the head of the train for the return journey. The engine was carrying a memorial wreath and one of the famous 'SRS' headboards as a tribute to Dave...
Upon our return to Shackerstone, 6989 is captured waiting in Platform 1...
There was then some lovely food to enjoy and many of us talked long into the evening about great times gone by. I'll never forget that even after I'd left Shackerstone, whenever I saw Dave out and about whether at Statfold or on a Tyseley trip somewhere, he always stopped me to say hello with his infectious smile. A really nice guy and I will miss him. Later on in the evening I spent some time in the Shackerstone museum which is a great place for reflection...
I think I left the railway some time around 22:30 after a lovely evening. I must thank Daves family for the invitation, particularly Linda and Amy: I am very grateful. I'll end this post with a picture of the man himself out with us some ten years ago in the summer of 2011. Dave (on the left) smiles from 3803 with Eddie and myself behind. There were many days like this and we still have our memories. Cheers Dave... 
Drivers Dave and Eddie with trainee Sam in 2011 (D.Hanks)

No comments: