Monday 31 August 2009

Devon Holiday Post No1: The "Torbay Express"...

Hi all. This is the first post of about 6 I believe, one of which isn't railway related, documenting my Devon holiday which took place from August 29th-September 4th. This one is about my spotting of the "Torbay Express". The "Torbay Express" is a steam hauled main line railtour which operates between Bristol Temple Meads and Kingswear (PDSR) on most summer Sunday's. Sunday 30th August was no exception and GWR King Class No6024 "King Edward I" was providing the motive power for the sizeable 11 coach train (10 passenger coaches+6024 support coach). Having checked the timings, prior to leaving home on the Saturday morning, I caught up with the outward run at Saltern Cove which is located on the Paignton & Dartmouth Steam Railway's 7 mile line...on which the railtour completes it's journey to Kingswear. After seeing, but not filming (due to rain), the King's two light engine moves (for servicing) on the PDSR, I caught the return "Torbay" as it rejoined the national network at Paignton before departing for Bristol. The video I filmed can be seen below (simply click the 'Play' button to view). I have yet to ride the "Torbay Express" but I'm sure I will one day!

Thanks for reading, post No2 coming soon! Good Evening...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice vid mate! Great view from the station at 4min20 in your video. The view of steam in action where it belongs in the hustle and bustle, well worth a watch. Nice job!