Sunday 10 January 2010

New Tail-Lamp...

Hi all! Just a short one this time! Today I collected an item which I had called-up about in the local newspaper. The article read "Railway Tail Lamp, Red Lens, £10 ono". This soon caught my interest and I quickly contacted the owner. I was told that the lamp was a standard BR Midland Tail-Lamp, rescued from a little station called Howden in East Yorkshire, around 1963. Howden Station in fact still exists today but the main buildings are no longer used as part of the railway operations. On collecting the lamp from the local village of Barwell for £10, we returned home. The lamp has been converted to "main's operation" and, therefore, instead of the normal paraffin burner, inside is a normal 60W electric lightbulb. The lens is in very nice condition and the bulb can therefore provide a powerful, lengthy beam. I now have two BR Midland tail-lamps though, I expected that they would be the same, and they aren't! The newly-acquired one is a different and somewhat unusual shape. In fact, it looks a little like a headlamp with a tail-lamp lens & handle! The lamp in my opinion was a bargain and it now has a new home at our garden railway site. In the near future, it is planned to receive a new coat of pure-white paint and two new spectacle glasses. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Petensue said...

Hi Sammy
Looking forward to seeing your "New" lamp resplendant in iys pure white coat.
The Graduate

Petensue said...

Sammyshould have read - seeing a photo of - !
The Graduate