Friday 4 June 2010

Bala Holiday Day One: Arrival at Llanuwchllyn...

Hi all! Well, today, after much looking forward to this it was finally time for my 4-day working holiday weekend to the 2ft gauge Bala Lake Railway in Wales. I had been invited by fellow Shackerstone and CMES member, Eddie, to go along with him and his wife for the weekend as a fireman on the 4.75 mile line. Therefore, at 1pm this afternoon, after much packing and preparation, I met up with Eddie and his wife, Lynn. After loading the car we then departed for the 3 hour or so drive to Llanuwchllyn; the base of the line. After a non-stop run across scenic hills and through lowland valleys, towing Eddie's caravan, we made it to Llanuwchllyn in good time. On arrival, having never been to the railway before, I didn't know what to expect...I was not dissapointed! Driving through the railway's gate we were greeted by the very nice site of 0-4-0 'Alice Class' Quarry Hunslet "Holy War", driven by one of the railway's managers. The little engine shone in the sun as we passed. Once we had pulled up, we walked up onto the platform where "Holy War" had then ran round and pulled back onto the front of the 4-coach rake of coaches. I then met the railways manager, Roger Hine, and his wife Bobby, who I must admit were very kind to even allow me to come! Soon, the 0-4-0 departed with the last train (4pm) to Bala of the day. In the meantime, we enjoyed a cup of tea and a slice of cake each (thanks Eddie!). When the loco arrived back at 5pm, myself and Eddie watched her being disposed before retiring for another cuppa'...First impressions, I must admit, are very, VERY good and it looks like it's going to be a great weekend; especially as myself and Eddie have been rostered to crew "Holy War" single-handed for the next 3 days! "Yes" it's going to be lots of work but I'm sure I will enjoy it! I must however make it clear that Bala Lake Railway do not just push people onto the footplate, I do have a certain degree of experience in various gauges, sizes and types of steam loco from Mamod's right up to "Mayflower"! (Just thought I'd mention it!). After the cuppa' I checked out my accomodation; provided by the railway within the converted attic of the station at Llanuwchllyn. Later on, we popped down to Bala for a meal and a pint in the local...not a bad drop either(!)...before returning to the site later on. Not too much of an early start in the morning though...up at 7:30am ready to start at 8:30am (a far cry from the 5pm starts at Shack!). Good Evening All...

No comments: