Thursday 2 September 2010

Southport Post 2: Lakeside Miniature Railway...

Welcome back everyone. This is post No2 of three regarding my visit to Southport. Now, my second 'engagement' consisted of a visit to the 15" gauge Lakeside Miniature Railway. Like the Model Railway Village (see previous post), the LMR is located on the edge of Southport's Marine Lake. However, I had no clue of the railway's existence until I discovered a small article on the internet a few days ago. Therefore, with a mangled idea as to where the railway was, I set out to find it. Built in 1911, the railway now runs for around 800 yards between Pleasureland (the local Fun Fair) and the Pier. Essentially, the line is formed in the shape of a large letter 'L', the shorter leg being the run into the Pier Station. Originally, the railway was steam operated but the final engine, 1990-built Atlantic 4-4-0 "Red Dragon", left for a new home on the Windmill Farm Railway a good few years ago. The railway now owns three steam-outline diesel hydraulics and two diesels. The three steam-outline loco's consist of 'Jenny'; a large sit-in tank engine; and two longer loco's, designed to look like Gresley's Famous A4 Class racehorses. However, today, the two A4's were nowhere in sight and 'Jenny' was hidden at the back of the sheds. One of the diesels, designed to look like a Class 52 'Western' was also nowhere to be seen. Therefore, only one loco remained, the other diesel; "Golden Jubilee", built in 1963. This loco is what I can only describe as a 'man-rider', as you will see below...
As you can see, she retains 'clock-hands' to create the illusion of a smokebox door but she is obviously not a steam-outline. There is a diesel engine in the substantial tender and I can only guess that there is a clutch-drive through into the 'loco', powering the wheels. The driver sits inbetween the tender and 'loco', as with conventional 15" gauge loco's. The driver, not really a huge loco 'buff' like myself, couldn't tell me much about "Golden Jubilee" only that it was a simple, robust, reliable and useful locomotive to have. In his words; "she does the job!". Below, the railway's logo is spotted on "Golden Jubilee"s tender...
Though the running line is only short, I couldn't drop in without having a ride. I think the fare was £2 odd for a return ticket, the round trip covering around 1.5km I believe. The ride is a little bumpy (call it authentic if you will?!), riding in unsprung articulated coaches with bench-seats on lightly-laid track. However, it's pleasant enough. I joined at the Pier station and, as "Golden Jubilee" towed the train along, diesel fumes filled the air! How authentic can you get?! The line takes an usual route, mainly in a straight line, along the side of Marine Lake. However, the views mainly consist of hedges, dark fences and the undersides of graffiti-clad bridges. Though the ride is of interest to a mad railfan like myself, I can only guess that normal passengers would not be overwhelmed by the trip. I think the biggest problem with lines like this is a lack of volunteers and, more importantly, a lack of funds. Indeed, though the striking entrance to the Pier Station is very nice, the station at Pleasureland is very delapidated and could do with a lick of paint and a few nails here and there to say the least. Again, it's all down to money and time. Today, I only spotted two guys at work; the driver and a chap working away in the sheds where 'Jenny' hid...
Below, the striking entrance at the Pier Station. It's a shame that Pleasureland doesn't look this good...
I had my quick round trip on the railway and then headed back to my family. The Lakeside Miniature Railway is a prime example of the type of railway that is getting few and far between nowadays. It's a small but friendly set up with limited funds and few resources. According to the driver, vandalism is also a problem. In fact, the local 'Skate Park'; situated right at the lineside; seems to play a big part in the railway's problems. Today alone, a steel pushbike wheel had been placed on the rails in an attempt to derail "Golden Jubilee". What is the world coming to when acts such as this are considered worthwhile and enjoyable?! I don't know. However, its still an interesting visit and, though I may have stayed longer if one of the A4's or 'Jenny' had been out, I enjoyed myself none the less. I wish the railway much sucess in the future. If you're around that area; why not drop in? Click HERE for their website. Oh well, onwards and upwards. Thanks for reading folks...

No comments: