Monday 15 November 2010

Post No100...Part II...Footplating At Evesham Vale Light Railway...

Hi all. This is Part B of Post No100 of 2010. After taking in the GWSR, I decided to move on to the 15" Gauge Evesham Vale Light Railway at Evesham Country Park. I arrived there at about 1:20pm to find the services in the capable hands of Exmoor-product "St Egwin"; an 0-4-0STT built in 2003. "Egwin" was built to order for owner Steve Bell. I purchased my ticket and then joined the 1:30pm train. Riding in the coaches, we steamed through the Apple Orchards and around the Baloon Loop to Evesham Vale Station. I was then invited onto the footplate for a ride back to Twyford; the base of the EVLR; with Driver/Owner Steve. What a nice guy! Steve drove us out of the Vale and back up the steep bank towards the terminus. "Egwin" rode very well, mind you, she is a new-build! On arrival back at Twyford I was invited to take a full return trip, again on the engine. I didn't refuse of course! After my full trip, and a good chat with Steve, I left the engine and did some linesiding with my still-image and video cameras. Below, "St Egwin" gives a whistle after the 'Right Away' from the Vale...
After my linesiding outing, in which I got a few shots, I returned to Twyford Station where, yet again, I was invited onto the engine! Great! In the end, I stayed on the engine for the rest of the day, chatting away with Driver Steve. I even got a few drives around the yard at Twyford(!); "St Egwin" is a very responsive machine. You could drive her like you drive a standard gauge engine; proffesionally. Holding the regulator, you can feel the power as "Egwin" moves effortlessly along. The video below shows a mixture of lineside and footplate footage; the effect is 'different' to say the least! As Blogger distorts my videos a bit, double-click to view larger!...
Earlier in the day, Steve stands on his engine as she is turned at Twyford...
Down the line, taken from the Fireman's side, the views across the Vale of Evesham stretch out in front of "St Egwin"...
Now at Evesham Vale, we look down on the boiler of "Egwin" from above. The boiler isn't very long but is quite a large diameter, carrying lots of water and steam space. On top of the dome we can see the whistle and safety valves...
Below, we see the Firebox open and the two shiney gauge glasses...
Steve fires "Egwin"...
In all, I had a very good afternoon on the footplate at the EVLR; especially the bit of driving I did! Thank you very much to EVLR owners Jim & Helen as well as "Egwin"s owner Steve Bell. Thank you all very much. I have been invited back to the EVLR to do a Cleaning Turn later in the year; that'll be nice, to put something back. I hope you've enjoyed the two-part Post No100 of 2010. I hope this keeps the blog going for a while! Next weekend? We're exhibiting the LEGO model railway at the 2010 Warley National Model Railway Exhibition. Why not come and see us there on Stand D39! Evening All...

No comments: