Saturday 1 January 2011

Lighting A Pannier...

Hi all. Today, the last day of the year, I was, "yes you've guessed", at Shackerstone! A huge team of us assembled at the Steam Shed to prepare Pannier Tank No5786 for her last three days operating at the railway (Jan 1st-3rd 2011). Arriving at 10:30am, I climbed up onto the footplate only to find; a broken gauge glass. Therefore, we replaced it with a spare. By now, 5786 had been dragged outside by the Class 73 diesel loco. Gauge glass replaced, I laid a bed of coal down on the grate, followed by dry wood and then lit the fire using parrafin rags. Doors shut, we let it burn. I then set about cleaning out the well-filled ash/inspection pit inside the Works. Later on, I helped clean the loco, including the cab. I also put Steam Oil on the Smokebox and Chimney to 'shine it up' a little bit ready for the loco's last appearances with us. I'll be very sad to see her go; she is a lovely machine indeed, much to the same popularity as 5542 was. Mind you, everyone had a soft spot for the Prairie! Well, after a good turn out and lots of work done, 5786 was back in the shed by 4pm and tucked up in 'bed' for the night. With that, its home time! Thanks for reading folks, Goodnight...

No comments: