Sunday 20 March 2011

"Sorry Mum, I Had To..."

Hi everyone. After a long day exhibiting at the Large Scale Model Rail Exhibition (see next post!), I made a rash decision. The show ended at 4pm and I was back home by 4:45pm so, after thinking about certain GWR engines running at Shack...I jumped back in the car and headed straight over there! (That was going to cause arguments later on; Sorry Mum!). Arriving at Shack at 5:30pm, I quickly headed up to the station, camera in hand, where I found GWR 2-6-2T No5542. The other Western was down the line and 42' was being kept in steam to perform a 'shunt release' operation on her return. (The other Western is still too big for Shack's Platform 2, a fact to be rectified within the next 3 weeks). Anyway, back to me. I headed up into the Loco Works next where I found Peckett "Sir Gomer". She's very close now, perhaps 97%, with only an Ashpan and Chimney needed. All boiler fittings are on now, even the Gauge Glasses, and the loco is pretty much 'piped up'. Great stuff! Keeping "Sir Gomer" company was a certain smiley-faced intruder...a poor old Jinty painted in the hideous Blue of T-T-T-E. Mind you, this is a beautiful example; its from Llangollen, a railway that knows how to look after a loco. "Thomas" is gracing Shackerstone, with his friends, on the first 2 weekends in April! Click HERE for more details. Maybe we'll see you there?! After a look at the 3F and little "Gomer", I headed back outside to await the return of our new baby. And just then, with a loud whistle, she arrived...Isn't she beautiful?! The South Devon's 2-8-0 38xx No3803 is with us for at least a year and, what a pleasure. Passenger numbers this weekend have been amazing, thanks to these two Western ladies. After taking the above shot, I ran down Platform 1 to get a proper look. What a machine. I love it. 42' then performed the 'shunt release', dragging the stock onto the Main before propelling it back down into Platform 2 for stabling. 42' was then uncoupled and chugged back over the cross-over towards the Shed...3803 was sparkling. What a loco. I was invited onto the footplate and enjoyed a short yet fun ride up into the loco works (a new experience?; yeah whatever!). A really lovely engine and I can't wait to have a go on her in a few weeks time. Beautiful Western engineering, and hugely powerful at '8F' qualification! Mind you, 42' is just as good and it has been a pleasure to see the pair running together. For enthusiast information, 42' is with us until mid-April time and 1306 "Mayflower" should be back by Easter. Look out for more steam events at Shackerstone in the future! Thanks for reading folks. Now I've satisfied my urge to see the 38xx asap, I'm going home! Evening all, I have to drive a certain Saxo back home again...

No comments: