Sunday 15 May 2016

Apedale: Tracks To The Trenches...

Hi all. Today I was out and about in search of steam. My first destination was Apedale; not too far from Newcastle-under-Lyme. The Moseley Railway Trust is based here and has a surprisingly extensive collection of 2ft gauge locomotives and rolling stock. This weekend saw the popular "Tracks To The Trenches" event on offer and a gala-style service would be in operation alongside countless displays related to the First World War. The event showcased several WW1 exhibits, both static and live action. There were horses and carts, period vehicles, re-enactors galore, trench displays, shooting demonstrations, the narrow gauge railway and several other stalls and show pieces. The 2ft gauge running line is now complimented by a Field Railway, which goes off into grassland via the point work in the yard. This additional track layout shows just how a front line service railway would have operated: lightly laid and ready for anything! I arrived at Apedale after a good run up the M6 by around 10:30am. Several cars were already queuing for a space, with many eager visitors stomping up the drive towards the station. This was of course a first visit for me and I was very much finding my own way. The first engine I saw was a visiting Joffre; one of six steam locomotives in action on the line today...
This chunky little 0-6-0: also named "Joffre": is usually based at the West Lancs Light Railway. I particularly liked the addition of the oversize tea can on the warming tray...
The Joffre class 0-6-0s were designed and built by Kerr Stuart for dispatch overseas for use on French artillery railways. This makes the type an important exhibit at an event like this. The engine had just been uncoupled from a passenger train when I turned up and she duly moved forward ready to run round. The engine sidled steadily backwards, passing another 0-6-0; this time the resident Hudswell Clarke, No1238 of 1916...
Having purchased my event ticket: which included a trip on the railway: I wandered into the event area. Almost immediately, another Joffre crossed my path on its way to the field railway. There were all sorts of movements going on today from light engine workings to wagon pulls and shunting...
Vintage cars were on display, as well as this lovely Foden Steam Wagon...
Visitors could also enjoy a tour of a trench set-up...
Its very hard to convey in words just how much was going on. There were indoor stalls including 16mm, army clothing traders and society stands whilst outside there were horses moving around, shots being fired, re-enactors all over the place etc. It really was a method of atmosphere and was most impressive to see. The little black Hudswell Clarke (No1238) was a nice thing to look at. It was repatriated from Ghana in 2008 where it had led a harsh existence. During a storm in 1952, the engine fell into a river, killing its driver. It was rescued around 40 years later and sat on display for another 10 years or more before being brought home to the UK. The engine was lovingly restored and returned to steam in 2014. It was a real mammoth project: one of those that perhaps some would have said; "no way!"...
Just over the way, a sister to No1238 stood simmering happily in the sun, with Martyn in command. GP39 is of course a Statfold Barn loco and was visiting the event to be paired with its sister. Ed has always referred to these Hudswell's as "malnourished" engines due to their very slender appearance. I think I agree...
Having had a chat with SBR Driver (and driver on most railways to be honest!) Martyn, I wandered back over to the Apedale station to try and catch a ride on the train. Having taken my seat, I thought that the West Lanc's Joffre was going to be doing the work and so prepared to tick another engine off...
Allas, it was not to be and in fact GP39 did the honours on the outward trip, with sister No1238 pulling the return. No matter, its all steam! The running line at Apedale is fairly short, departing the station before dropping downgrade past the engine shed and slowing to negotiate some points into the run round loop at the end station. I'd say its about 1/4 of a mile. No1238 was soon at the head of the train and got the 3-coach rake away smartly...
Pulling back into the station we were treated to the sight of Leighton Buzzard-based Baldwin No778; another WW1 veteran of 1917 vintage I believe. These unusual 4-6-0s are quite pretty and I wouldn't mind a go on one...
The Fireman was just putting some more coal round on No778...
Walking down through the event area brought me to the loco shed where I found the visiting Joffre and resident 0-4-2 Tattoo-class "Stanhope" enjoying their lunch break...
Even more stands and exhibits lay within the loco shed! Having walked back up through the event field and around the front of the station, I wandered down the lineside footpath to snap GP39 returning on a later passenger train...
A short video clip I captured of the well tank in the lunchtime sun...
Another view of "Stanhope", built in 1917 and an Apedale regular...
Apedale also has a colourful abundance of internal combustion locomotives, mostly of the Simplex variety. I believe that the ex-Cadeby Simplex's found a home here and I find it quite pleasing that these small but interesting engines are being cared for on a railway of their own. Just some of the many diesels were basking in the sun...
A final view of the station area, with footings in for the new Museum building...
Well folks, a very pleasant first visit to Apedale. I certainly didn't realise they had so much stuff. The "Tracks To The Trenches" event was also most enjoyable and very impressively put together. I'm afraid my images and words can't do the scale of it justice. Martyn was telling me that there is the scope to extend the running line at the terminus end when funds allow, thus providing a longer train ride to visitors. I wish them luck at Apedale. The place has bags of potential and an extensive collection of narrow gauge engines and rolling stock. For me, its back in the car now and off to find the Amerton Railway...

No comments: