Monday 17 October 2016

A Walk Around The Midlands Show 2016...

Hi everyone. This morning, having driven through heavy rain to get there, I spent a few hours wandering around the 2016 Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition up on the Fosseway. I had no turns booked for driving this year. I drove at the show seven years on the bounce on the 5" gauge track between 2008 and 2014 so I think I've done enough back and forth miles! My first port of call this morning was to see the fully assembled Coventry MES stand which looked very impressive...
"Coventry MES Club Stand 2016"
There were a variety of models on display in various gauges from 32mm right up to 5" as well as stationary engines and a few machining items. It was a very varied and interesting stand this year I felt, with my LBSC Maisie standing between Pete's 5" 0-4-0 electric and Roy's 2.5" gauge 0-4-0 to the Sugar design...
"My LBSC Maisie 4-4-2 On The CMES Club Stand 2016"
Having looked at the CMES stand for a while, I made my way past countless other works of engineering art before heading out into the damp of the rally field. A dozen or so miniatures were around in various scales. It was nice to see Russ' 4.5" Foden C Type nearing completion and now running under its own steam. It appeared on static display at Statfold earlier this year without most of its valve gear...
Over the way, Tony Baldwin's forever immaculate 4" Foster DCC "Shirley B" was simmering away to herself. Hopefully we'll see her again at our ever growing Statfold Barn Miniature Rally next May, along with many other engines...
Running up the middle of the field as usual was the fairly steep (in scale terms) 5" gauge portable track. In charge of services was the ever present Golden Slipper: the brass liveried 'Polly V' 2-6-0. This work worn engine seemed to be struggling like mad for adhesion on the oily rails and even three passengers looked almost impossible. I've had some good days driving this engine in the past but time is catching up with her...
For the rest of the morning I spent my time yakking to various people I know across the steam sector and of course enjoying the odd cuppa'. I bought some flue brushes from Polly models and that was about it. I nipped home for lunch before returning at closing time to collect the engine. Getting out of the MMEE with an engine is always a nightmare. As soon as those doors close to the public its like a mad stampede of cars, vans, trolleys and barrows converging on one doorway. By carrying the engine by hand across into the car park I managed to get out fairly quickly...we'd have been there all night if I hadn't! Soon enough the engine was back home on the workbench...
Although my very limited photo's don't show by any means the scale of the event, it was a very good show this year. A video of the proceedings can be seen here. All in all a quiet but pleasant morning spent around the 2016 MMEE and glad to get the engine back home. Some transport chips as normal but nothing the brush can't handle! Cheers, Sam...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting read, wasn't aware of this event. Is it at the exhibition centre on the fosse way near Leamington?

I would have thought Maisie isn't easy to carry, how much does she weigh?

Sam Brandist said...

Cheers David for the comment. Yes it certainly is the Fosseway show up at the Exhibition Centre. I'm not (I'm afraid) entirely sure what Maisie weighs. She is easy to carry a short distance as the tender splits off of course, much easier to move than Achilles, but certainly a good lump! Cheers, Sam