Sunday 21 January 2018

The Statfold Barn Cleaning Day...

Every January the Statfold Barn Railway holds its annual 'Cleaning Day'; a chance for the volunteers to come down and scrub off some of the dirt created during the previous season. In wintry conditions, I arrived at the Oak Tree roundhouse at just before 8:30am. The traditional McDonalds stop had been performed on route and I was soon at work with my rags and brass cleaner on my favourite: "Isibutu". The ex-Tongaat Sugar Bagnall was sat between "Harrogate" and "Trangkil" on her usual turntable road. With the help of new volunteer Ben, "Isibutu" was spruced up to a mirror shine over the next couple of hours. She was absolutely gleaming...
All around, the rest of the 21-strong operational fleet of steam locomotives were being steadily polished by their respective cleaners. The cleaning day is always a good Winter crack and a chance to catch up with those you don't often see outside of the operating season. Despite being an active volunteer at Statfold for a few years now, I never cease to be amazed when I see the fleet standing together - it has to be the worlds biggest toy box! Here, half a dozen of the British built locomotives stand together...
After a few hours cleaning and polishing we left the SBR at around 2pm as we had to get over to Tyseley for a meeting. I must admit I can't wait for the first Statfold open day in March: cold firebox syndrome is setting in again! If you want to visit Statfold in 2018 then click here for the website. Thanks for reading all, Sam...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your blog is very useful for me,Thanks for your sharing.

Watch Black Panther putlockers