Saturday 21 July 2018

Tyseley: A Pannier & A Peckett...

Hi all. Today was a busy volunteer Saturday at Tyseley Loco Works in Birmingham. During the morning I was put to work with the lovely Pannier Tank 9600 on a clean out job: firebox and smokebox. After her efforts at the open weekend the other week it was time for a thorough clean out and so, wearing a pair of fresh white disposable overalls and a mask, I headed into the firebox with my lead lamp and brush...
Cleaning out the firebox involves removing each fire bar in turn, making your way across the grate. With the bars out you can clean the carriers before replacing them one by one. Whilst you're in there it's always worth brushing down the plate work and the stay nuts, especially the crown stays. Any accumulated muck on the stay nuts doesn't do them any favours so it's always best to keep them as clean as possible. I was absolutely filthy when I came out and no doubt I'll find myself coughing up smuts for a week - this is the romance of steam!...
Once the firebox was clean it was time to do the same in the smokebox - another filthy job that has to be done. After lunch I was put to work on Peckett No1 - Works number 2004 of 1941. The engine is beginning her 10-yearly overhaul and so I was put to work in the smokebox removing the floor ready for the blast pipe to come out. This is another dirty job and it's fair to say that I went home in a filthy state tonight, although it had been a rewarding day with plenty of good work done on the fine fleet of engines. Another good day at 84E. Until next time, Sam...

No comments: