Saturday 1 January 2022

New Year Nine Freight...

Evening all and a massive Happy New Year to you! This morning I was bringing in the New Year in the right way with another 'Third Man' turn at the Great Central Railway in Loughborough. This is my fourth one I think (since the first one in October). The sign on time today was a not too offensive 07:00 and I arrived right on time after a pleasant drive along desolate roads. Our engine for this morning shift: the huge Riddles 9F No92214: was standing patiently under the floodlights of Empress Road bridge...
I was quite pleasantly surprised to get the 9F as both the Standard 5 and the 8F had been the stalwarts over Christmas, so I guessed it would be one of those. No complaints here though as the 9F was another new class of engine to tick off my list! I duly met up with driver Ken and fireman Andy and the three of us set to work with various tasks around the massive engine...
Having checked over the cab and firebox, we elected to get the smokebox emptied. On this occasion I was on the shovel and, having removed the festive wreath and opened the huge door, I began to shovel out the ashes. With 80psi still on the clock after a late night turn on the New Years Eve diner, it was certainly hot in the front end! Job done, Andy disposed of the ash whilst I swept down and then fastened up the door. The grate was then cleared using the very useful rocking grate which on this engine moves in two halves: left and right. I was very surprised at the ease of use of the rocking grate and you can see why Mr Riddles included such advancements in his user friendly designs. With the grate clear, it was time to light up. This process began with the usual wheelbarrows of soft coal which, added first, very much reduce the smoke output on shed. With the coal added, I passed up a fair amount of wood to Andy who then lit the fire. 92214 started singing to herself almost immediately and, with so much pressure still on, she wouldn't take too long to come round.

I was surprised at the width and capacity of the firebox. Personally I haven't had much experience on wide box engines, save for a day on a Bulleid light pacific at Tyseley a couple of years ago. With the fire now burning well, Ken called it tea time and I grabbed this quick snap whilst fetching my mug from the car...
Returning to the 9F, I went underneath with Andy to do the driving axleboxes before we started the ashing out process. The wide firebox sitting over the frames means that ash can collect away from the central pan. Therefore there are four side doors (two per side) which open to allow a hose and a rake to get in. Washing the ashes through these doors pushes the majority into the main hopper pan and the water build up keeps the dust down. It's then a case of pulling the catch and emptying the pan via the hopper doors. It's quick and easy: far better than the conventional pans. Another fabulous Riddles advancement that impressed me greatly...
By the time our jobs were done our off shed time of 10:15 was fast approaching and so we all washed up and got changed. Andy then kindly provided breakfast on the shovel (the best kind of breakfast) which was most appreciated! By 10:30 we were at the head of the eight coach train, steam heating the stock. Andy talked me through the habits of 92214 and said he tends to run a large back end, tapering off to the front. Everyone I've spoken to always comments on the back corners being most important, particularly as they can be overlooked with a firebox this wide. Andy kindly allowed me to build up the back end as the minutes ticked away...
Andy fired the first round trip whilst I watched how the engine behaved. It's great fun learning these different machines and the different techniques required to get what you need from them. For the second trip Andy would be driving with Ken keeping an eye on my firing. I was once again incredibly grateful to be allowed to have a go. Here, 92214 stands at the head of the 12:50 departure from Loughborough. The engine was built at Swindon in 1959 as one of the 251-strong Standard Class 9Fs...
The second round trip was most enjoyable and it was a real education getting to know this huge engine. I kept the back end up and filled the holes where required, topping up the boiler water level as appropriate. She steamed incredibly well and even eight coaches was absolutely no issue for her (50psi in the steam chest had her motoring along nicely!). As we steamed back towards Loughborough on the return trip I ran the fire down a little as the engine would be standing for an hour or so following the crew change prior to her last run of the day at 15:15. Rolling into Loughborough and coming to a stand, I uncoupled the engine whilst Ken and Andy handed over to the afternoon crew. The 9F then went off for water at the column, where I grabbed a final snap. What a huge and imposing engine this is: quite fabulous...
With that there was little else to do but wash up, fill in my cleaners paperwork and sign out before heading for home. What a great New Years Day shift with 92214. I must thank Ken and Andy for their company, hospitality and advice. I had a great time. Here's to 2022! Cheers all and Happy New Year, Sam...
Please note any views or opinions expressed in this blog are merely personal and do not in any way represent the views or opinions of any other person, group or organisation. 

No comments: