Saturday 26 March 2022

A Warm Morning At Loughborough...

Getting up early is always so much easier when the sun is shining. Today I was out the door around 06:30 and on my way to Loughborough shed for another cleaning turn. Originally I had been rostered for an afternoon third man turn on the engine but todays public passenger services had subsequently been cancelled in order for bridge repairs to be undertaken. Therefore only the pre-booked dining services were being operated, with 78018 in charge. It was a lovely sunny morning on shed, with clear blue skies above. 46521 was basking in the morning sun as I arrived...
Armed with my bags of cleaning gear, I signed in before setting to work on the lovely Great Western 4-6-0 No6990 "Witherslack Hall"...
Throughout the morning I mountaineered across the top of 6990, doing the top brasses and then fully wiping her down with white spirit before applying polish. There was a pleasant roar on the breeze at one point as old friend No7029 "Clun Castle" tore through Loughborough main line station with a Chester-bound rail tour. "Clun"s voice echoed all around as she accelerated towards Leicester. I spent a good few hours today with 6990, buffing her up under the warm sun. The results of my efforts were very pleasing as her brasses and boiler barrel shone...
In the afternoon I headed for home after a pleasant morning on and around 6990. Great Western engines deserve to be kept as clean as possible (as Tyseley always taught us) and this lovely Modified Hall is no exception. It's never a chore to spend time with her and she always looks the better for our efforts. Cheers all, Sam...
Please note any views or opinions expressed in this blog are merely personal and do not in any way represent the views or opinions of any other person, group or organisation.

No comments: