Wednesday 15 June 2022

The National Railway Museum, York...

When an opportunity presents itself you should take it, that's my motto. Today I was working in York of all places and Leeman Road too, the home of the Royal Mail delivery office but also the National Railway Museum. Before I hit the road for home I couldn't help but spend an hour in the museum...it would have been rude not to! I managed to get a ticket for my timeslot online via the website (admission is still free but tickets are still 'sold' as it were). Soon enough I was in the Great Hall, home of the majority of the exhibits, most of which stand around the turntable. The other week I was firing a 9F and today I stood alongside the last of them all, No92220 "Evening Star". She was the last steam locomotive built by British Rail, having been completed at Swindon in 1960. Even after crewing 92214, 9Fs still look massive from floor level...
After "Flying Scotsman", the most famous steam locomotive in the world is surely the A4 pacific "Mallard". No4468 is still the world speed record holder for steam, having topped 126mph on July 3rd 1938. The shining garter blue beauty is seen here, standing under the footbridge in immaculate condition...
Alongside "Mallard" was another streamliner, this time the Stanier version: No6229 "Duchess of Hamilton". Though stunningly impressive in its looks, I do prefer the rebuilt version without the casing due to its muscular lines...
After the Great Hall I had a wander around the stores area before a quick visit to Station Hall and the impressive display of ex-Royal Train stock. The museum is very pleasant to walk around and is a massive bargain for free but I just can't help but feel that something is different about it these days. It seems to have lost something but I'm not sure what. Is it worth a visit? Absolutely. Is it as good as it was? I'm not sure. Time will tell. However, as a steam enthusiast and volunteer, I will always pop into the NRM when in York and long may it continue to be popular. Cheers all, Sam...

No comments: