Saturday 8 October 2022

GCR Firing Course: Day One...

Afternoon all. I have just returned from day one of the 2022 Great Central Railway firing course and I'm pleased to report that I found it both engaging and rewarding. The GCR offers a firing course each year, running between October and February, which is applied for via letter. Applications are considered and candidates are then chosen in preparation for the course start. I have been lucky enough to make the grade for the 2022 course, along with six other fellow candidates. Day one included a full day of classroom learning with topics taken from a written curriculum. This was quite a change for me. Having been originally used to a nameless railway where there is zero training (or indeed experience) on offer, it was very refreshing to be a part of this course which is delivered professionally and with a wide variety of resources at hand. The course is aimed at teaching individuals regardless of previous experience and I only wish I'd had this at my disposal the first time around. Oh well, you live and learn! Anyway, a great day one and now we look forward to day two! Cheers...
Please note any views or opinions expressed in this blog are merely personal and do not in any way represent the views or opinions of any other person, group or organisation.

No comments: