Sunday 23 July 2023

A Battery Box Sunday...

Evening all. A quick post from today. This was my final turn of the season as crew on the public running at Coventry MES' Ryton Pools Miniature Railway. I arrived a touch before the 12:30 book on time to find both trains already out and at the station: somebody must be keen! The majority of my afternoon was spent guarding trains with the occasional break for a cuppa' whilst on station duty. In the finish I drove the last three trips of the day with the battery electric Class 37 lookalike, just so I'd driven a couple. I must admit, these things do nothing for me. It's not really driving as it's just like working a feed rate control on a CNC machine. However, as I always say, the battery electrics are there to do a job and it is a job they do very well, avoiding the hassle that comes with the more charming steam traction. Putting the trains away is now down to around five minutes which you'd never manage with a steam engine so there are some benefits. This afternoon we carried just over 200 passengers so that was worth coming up for. That's all folks, until the next time, ciao for now...

No comments: