Friday 31 May 2024

Going Great Central: A Day Off On A Standard...

Evening all. Today I'd booked a day off work, having been rostered to crew the M11 turn at the GCR. This job was looking touch and go at one point as we hadn't actually got a booked driver. Thankfully, at the eleventh hour, driver Matt stepped in to take the turn and so we could breathe a sigh of relief. I'd spotted our rostered locomotive noted next to our names last Saturday when I crewed the 8F, therefore I knew it was going to be the BR Standard 5 No73156 of 1956. As well as myself and Matt, we were joined on the footplate by new trainee Ed and pass holder David, the latter a driver at the Tanfield railway. With an unusual three trips booked for this afternoon's turn, there would be plenty of opportunity for everyone to have a go. Having met up to await our engine at a drizzly Loughborough shed, we took over the 4-6-0 at the column before working the 12:50 trip. I fired whilst Matt did the driving. With lamps already swapped for running back, the engine is pictured at Leicester North under grey skies...
As usual I'd already made up my departure fire during the run round, allowing the fresh coal to take whilst I coupled up. It was soon time to leave and I was very pleased as I clambered into the cab to find that Matt had returned from the griddle car with some piping hot bacon rolls...just what the doctor ordered! Very tasty they were too...
The Standard 5 was her usual free steaming self, effortlessly hauling the six-coach train back and forth on this remarkably quiet day for passengers. The weather today won't have helped attendance I'm sure but we were also mindful that this weekend sees the railway's first 'all night' gala, so perhaps everyone was saving themselves for that. Below, the 4-6-0 waits with her train in the down platform at Quorn...
Upon returning to Loughborough we swiftly ran around the train before recoupling at the south end of the stock. Matt kindly offered me the regulator for this trip whilst he did a bit of firing on the opposite side. I of course took very little persuading...
On time and with steam to spare, I got the engine moving southwards with the 14:45 train. I'm thankful for the shot below which is a rare view of me driving. At this point I'm easing the regulator back to drop the steam chest pressure as speed climbs towards the line speed of 25mph. No73156 certainly has to be held back...
"Driving No73156" (WM)
After a pleasant run in the driver's seat to Leicester North, the engine was uncoupled from the stock before we dropped her forwards south of the points to do some footplate visits. The Standard 5 meanwhile waited patiently under the overcast skies...
Having driven No73156 back to Loughborough, I thanked Matt for the opportunity before we swapped back over. Our final train was also the last of the day: the 16:30. For this run I opted to share the firing with new trainee Ed, giving him some experience on the shovel on what must have been an overwhelming first day out on the footplate! Below, the engine and train wait time alongside the GCR museum...
Between myself and Ed I'm pleased to say that we got the engine safely to Leicester and back with plenty of steam and water to spare. Fellow Statfold driver Joey Evans caught us rounding the bend at Kinchley Lane...
"No73156 works the 16:30 up train for Leicester" (J.Evans)
As well as the usual passenger service on the GCR, this week also saw the long awaited return of steam trains to Mountsorrel along the branch line. These trips were worked by a diesel locomotive top and tailed with the newly restored Austerity NCB No18. Having passed by Joey at Kinchley Lane, we were soon braking to come to a stand at Swithland's up outer home signal whilst the Mountsorrel train cleared the section to Rothley. We were soon on the move again...
At Leicester we performed the usual swift run round ready for departure...
Returning the engine to shed after a pleasant day, we did the ashpan and gave the fire a clean before handing over to the night crew. I think they had a Murder Mystery job to do: a one tripper. What a pleasant day: no prep and hardly any disposal...can't really ask for better! I must thank Matt, Ed and David for a brilliant afternoon out aboard the mighty No73156: your company was very much appreciated. Cheers all, Sam...
Please note any views or opinions expressed in this blog are merely personal and do not in any way represent the views or opinions of any other person, group or organisation.

No comments: