Tuesday, 10 August 2010

Rearranging The Rails On The Garden Railway...

Hi all. Just a bit of track relaying today on the Garden Railway. Since we built the extension, back in early 2006, there have been some 'bad joints' on the Ashford Station to Chilvers Bank section. As the joints were strong as they were, the decision was taken to leave them alone. However, as the garden itself is undergoing certain renovations at the current time, we decided that now would be a good a time as any to relay the 'bad joint' section. Therefore, we set to work. Firstly, the track was raised, as was the wooden base underneath. We then relayed the wooden base 2 inches closer to the wall edge so as to allow the following 225 degree curve to be 'loosened'. This would close the 'bad joints', making them smooth, and would then allow bigger engines (such as my 9F Class) to finally traverse the track properly. My 9F, 92139, is a tender-driven Hornby model but, to be truthful, has never run properly on my line since I acquired her in 2006! 92139, like the real 9F's, has the centre-axle flange 'blanked' so as to allow tighter curves to be traversed. She also has alot of 'play' built into the axles so as to allow freedom of movement when rounding curves. However, unlike the real 9F's, she lacks the necessary weight to keep all of her wheels on the track when rounding tight curves. Therefore, now that I have 'ironed out' the 225 degree upgrade bend, she should run round a lot better! (He says!). Thanks for reading folks. Off to the RPMR on Saturday then Shackerstone on Sunday...

No comments: