Sunday 15 August 2010

Very Quick Call to GEC Miniature Railway...

Hi all. Another quickie. On my way home from the very wet RPMR Invitation Day, I decided to take a quick detour to the GEC Miniature Railway at Allard Way to see how they were getting on. I had been told that they had a private 'Birthday Party' in operation; meaning that trains would run regardless of the weather; it's all income you see! On arrival, with the sun making a very brief appearence between the stormy outbursts of rain, I found a very nice little Simplex simmering on the 5" gauge steaming bays. The 0-6-0, wearing BR Black and a '2P' classification on the cab side looked very well indeed. Feathering at the safety valves, the substantial tank engine was awaiting her second outing of the day. The railway had already catered for one birthday party around midday and the 2nd group would be arriving shortly. The two parties had both chosen the 5" gauge raised track for their usage and, therefore, the 7.25" track was desolate and silent; the Simplex being the only loco in use. The Simplex, numbered 30947, is spotted below on the bay...
After a quick chat with one or two of the usual members, I decided to carry on for home. I was already cold, wet and tired and, looking overhead, two large black clouds were approaching from the direction of the city. ("Time to go!"). In all, I probably spent a quick 10-15 minutes or so at the GEC. Once back in the car I was glad of the shelter. The sun had already dissapeared again and the rain was beginning to fall; harder and harder! Thanks to the GEC for letting me take a few snaps whilst they were between duties. I was home by 3pm and showered and sat down before 4pm! (Great stuff; this railway lark is too easy!). Anyway, off to Shackerstone tomorrow; look out for the post on that as it happens. Thanks all. Good Evening...

No comments: