Sunday 10 October 2010

The Glow of The Duchess...

Hi all. Well, on the way home from Shackerstone tonight, knowing full well that the Princess Coronation Class Pacific No6233 "Duchess of Sutherland" was passing by the area with a return train to Euston, I couldn't resist trying to see her! Fearing that I wouldn't make it much further before I missed her, I parked on Eastboro Way, Nuneaton. Up on the bridge in the darkness, another photter' came up and chatted to me about the Duchess. Surprised he was indeed when I told him that I'd been firing a Pannier Tank at Shackerstone during the day! Coincidence much?! Anyway, the Duchess came roaring around the corner with 13 coaches behind the tender and the firehole doors open. In a flash, she was gone. I managed to get a short, relatively-poor quality video of the passing of the train through the darkness; you can just make out the glow! This was the Duchess' very last revenue-earning railtour before full 10-year overhaul and I'm so glad that I've seen the Ivatt Black liveried monster in action at last; if not just briefly! I've footplated her before back in 2005 at Crewe, alongside then rebuilt sister No46229 "Duchess of Hamilton" (who we saw at York in August). Below, a blast from the past with the two beautiful Stanier Duchess' together in a picture I took at Crewe...only needed "City of Birmingham" to make the set!...
Thanks for reading everyone. Goodnight...Home time now!...

No comments: