Monday 18 October 2010

Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition 2010...

Hi all. Today I was at the annual Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition, driving on Coventry Model Engineering Society's portable 5" gauge track. The MMEE brings together the very best models, from 'toy' trains right up to traction engine's of sizes larger than 6"! The show ran from Friday (15th Oct) up until Tuesday (19th Oct), at the Warwickshire Exhibition Centre on the Fosseway. CMES put on another very good stand and of course, as I've mentioned, their Portable Track was in action, offering FREE(!) rides to the public. My shift was rostered between 1:30pm and 5pm, though I did arrive at just before 10am so that I could check arrangements and have a good look around the show myself! It was a very good show this year with some fantastic models on display. (My Christmas list could extend cross-country here!). In this post I'll show you just a few of the models which caught my eye. Firstly, a fantastic model of Teddy Boston's Bagnall 0-4-0ST "Pixie". Being the simple industrial Bagnall (produced in countless numbers way back when), I've never seen "Pixie" modelled before. I, like many others, will remember having many free rides on Teddy's own 200-yard long 2ft gauge garden railway behind "Pixie", before the Cadeby Light Railway (as it was known) finally closed in May 2005. The Bagnall is seen here on the 'potential winners' table...well done to the guy (or girl!) who built her; brings back many memories!...
Not far from the quaint "Pixie" stood a beautiful piece of precision engineering...a 5" gauge model of the Stanier 7P Pacific "Princess Marie Louise"!...
Now, if I could take any engine home...it may have to be this one!...
The Stanier's really were out in force this year; "City of Coventry" (the nameplate of which still hangs inside Coventry Railway Station) stands on a club display. Another beautiful machine...
Thirdly, back on the winner's table, another Stanier beast; "Duchess of Gloucester", No46225. In a striking BR Maroon livery, this machine really looked the business. This one was a real gem...
Across the way, near the Main Entrance was a 7.25" model of the LNER B1 (or "Antelope" Class). Beautiful "Bongo", in striking LNER Apple Green, was built and is owned by Christopher Vine, author of the well known children's railway books; entitled "Peter's Railway". Mr Vine was there, of course selling his popular books and meeting his many readers, yet "Bongo" was also in steam on the table! With her wheels jacked up, "Bongo" turned herself over freely throughout the show; giving a working demonstration of steam power 'up close and personal'. She really is a beautiful model; well done Mr Vine. Did I mention my dealings with "Mayflower"; of course I did! In fact, Mr Vine had enjoyed a footplate ride on "Mayflower" last year when she was at Llangollen! Small world! Below, "Bongo" wows the crowds, and me...
Outside, Eddie and Dave had got the portable track in action for their morning turn. "Polly V" had been pressed into service and was busy giving rides on the again steeply-graded track. As well as the railway there were fairground organs, model cars and of course the usual, very impressive display of traction engines and steam rollers. In fact, I even got a drive of one! Fellow CMES member Mr D Hall has been building his lovely 4" Burrell for some time, from a Modelworks kit. In fact, this time last year she was inside the hall as part of the CMES stand; in "nearly finished" condition. One year one, she's in fine form and runs beautifully. I was thrilled when asked if I would like a go! ("Yes Please"!). Below, Dave prepares his engine for the day...
It has been a while since I've driven a road traction engine (I have driven "Blue Circle" recently at Shackerstone but she is a rail-vehicle afterall!) but I soon fell back into it. In the past, I've driven a full size Burrell Road engine and a full size Simplicity Roller, as well as miniature versions such as a 6" Burrell and a 4" Garratt. Dave's engine drove beautifully; very pleasant indeed; well done and thank you very much! Back on the portable track, trains were still running well, with "Polly V" at the head under the warm October sun. Normally, we are the only portable track but this year we were joined by the very friendly lot from locomotive seller 'Station Road Steam', who brought along their portable 7.25" gauge track. Their motive power was provided by their new creation; "Stafford", a beefy and powerful Marine-boilered 0-4-0ST. "Stafford" is now being produced in batches of half a dozen at a time I believe, for a bargain price of £9950; Ready to Run! And "No", I'm not joking about the price, this is really good value in my eyes for an engine of this size, pedigree and potential (especially for a club!). The SRS group were very pleasant company throughout the day and many of us enjoyed a good few runs on "Stafford" to boot (including me of course! ^_^ ). Below, "Stafford", driven by SRS Rep "Sam", arrives back at the tent...
Thanks very much to SRS (particularly "Sam") for letting me have a go on "Stafford". I wouldn't mind one myself; they're very powerful and much bigger in the flesh than I thought! If you want one, buy one...on sale now! By now, it wasn't long before my shift began with my fellow driver, Emma. We, being avid steam fans, decided to use both of the two engines that we had on offer. Therefore, I steamed "Polly III" (smaller sister to "Polly V") whilst Emma looked after the latter. We then top and tailed the two engines throughout the afternoon, taking turns on either engine's regulator as we wished; great stuff! "Polly III" was kept on the downward end of the train as we felt that she was a much better banker than a puller, with tiny wheels and good size cylinders. Below, "Polly III" waits for another upgrade slog...
Throughout the afternoon we gave many FREE rides to many passengers who all seemed to enjoy their little trip; particularly when slightly "racing" the 7.25" beast opposite! Below, "Stafford" and "Polly V" create a 'David and Goliath' spectacle!...
Finally, I have a portrait of "Polly V", showing her likeness to the GWR Small Prairie Class...shame she has no rear pony! As well as doing many runs on "Polly III", I also did a good few on the "V". I make no qualms about Polly being a well respected and good locomotive maker but, I must admit, I'm never overly impressed with the haulage capacity of "Polly V". However, on the other hand, its an attractive and reliable machine. "Polly III" on the other hand very much surprised me with its power, chalm and turn of speed. If I had a Polly, it would be a "IV" (a "III" with a tender!). Keep it up Polly, they're very good engines!...
After many driving turns and many rides given, we called it a day at 5pm with both engines being disposed of and taken inside for the night (they'll be running again tomorrow!). Thanks very much to traction engine owner Dave, "Stafford" owner's 'SRS' and CMES members Emma, Brian, Eddie and Dave for a great day out again. I really enjoyed it; what a great show! Thanks for reading folks; Good Evening, I hope you enjoyed the show...I did!...

No comments: