Monday 7 May 2012

Return to "James" at GEC...

 
Hi guys. This afternoon I had been invited up to the GEC Miniature Railway in Binley to help with my friend James' locomotive: "James". The 0-4-0 Romulus was to undergo a Steam Test before taking part in the first of this years 7.25" gauge Public Running days. Also on site was 0-4-0 Sweet William "Luna" and the Big-Tich "Tom". Having helped unload "James" we pushed 'him' up onto No1 Bay before preparing him. The boiler inspectors were on hand to oversee proceedings and the loco was soon ready. The water gauge glass blow-down was passing badly and so we dropped the fire to repack it. Once repacked the blow-down was fine and the loco passed her steam test with flying colours.
 With the steam test passed, all that remained was to clean the loco before heading off shed
"Luna" & Train
 "Luna" was already in steam, having been used for a Birthday Party in the morning. She simmered away quietly whilst "James" got ready. The Public Running began at 2:30pm but, due to her repairs, the red Romulus was not ready until 3:30pm. Nevertheless, once ready we steamed out onto the track with owner James driving her first run. We then alternated on each of the Romulus' 7 trips of the day. As usual, she was in fine form and steamed beautifully. My only regret was that the running was soon over. Ahh well, a fab day anyway! I must thank James again for letting me loose on his engine as I always have a great time. The friendly members of the GEC (and the endless supplies of tea!) only add to this experience. After the running we chugged back up towards the bays and blew "James" down...
Steamy "James"
"Luna" soon followed, with "Tom" having finished his run earlier on. Soon enough we were loading "James" back onto his trailer, ready for home. Again, I must say that I had a fantastic afternoon. I will next be at the GEC on May 16th (a Wednesday) for Joans Fun Day. I did that a couple of years ago on "James" and it was fab but this time I will hopefully be bringing "Achilles" to lighten the load on some of the other locomotives. Look out for a post on that as it happens. Cheers guys. Sam...

No comments: