Saturday 20 October 2012

Fosseway Show Day 1: Driving...

Hi everyone. Today I left work and headed straight over to the 2012 Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition, held at the Warwickshire Exhibition Centre on the Fosseway. The show opened on Wednesday, and will run til' Sunday. My society: CMES: had again provided their portable track to offer free train rides to show visitors during the event. The locomotive provided was again "Polly V"; a 2-6-0 of the Polly V type made by Polly model engineering. The brass-liveried demonstrator loco steamed well again, romping up and down the track on light loads. The bad mud (the car park was terrible) and the cooler weather made for less visitors on the show field, most of which choosing to enjoy a cuppa' inside the heated buildings. It wasn't just us that were losing passengers either. The 10.25" gauge line that ran alongside the 5" was also suffering. The locomotive though was beautiful; a 2-6-2 named "Starlight", employing large cylinders and an LNER style tender.
"Starlight"
The engine was purchased two years ago from Station Road Steam. For a moment I didn't even recognise it, having seen it on the site myself back then. I just happened to look at the wheels and then remembered. When I quizzed the owner...my guess was correct. I could not believe my eyes. In a mammoth 5 month restoration the engine has had pretty much everything repaired or replaced. Here is her original sale link. The owner even let me have a drive towards the end of the day. The 2-6-2 moved away smoothly, very responsive on the regulator and good on the brake: no less than I'd expect from a 10.25" engine with such a big boiler. Later on I left for home after a chilly but enjoyable afternoon. Thanks guys. Sam.

No comments: