Saturday 30 March 2013

Inside A Greyhound...

Hi guys. This afternoon I was at Shackerstone, helping clean out and light up the NRM's T9 4-4-0 No30120, ready for the weekend. Being an elder engine (built 1899) the T9 has some odd features. The firehole door for example has to be taken completely off in order to allow access to the main firehole ring and in turn, access to the firebox for a person. Having moved the heavy door casting I was able to climb into the deep firebox. It really is a tall box and I can just about stand up in there. I was in the firebox in order to do a visual check as part of the FTR, as well as cleaning out the ash from gala Sunday's fire. With all clean and dry, I came out of the firebox and we replaced the casting before lighting a strong warming fire. After an hour or two watching the fire we left the engine to it so that she could continue slowly warming through, as is the practise. Myself and Eddie are rostered out with the T9 tomorrow - I wonder how we'll get on. Cheers guys. Sam.

1 comment:

Petensue said...

Have a great day both of you. A good way of getting out of track work at Ryton Pools.