Sunday 25 August 2013

Great 38'...

Hi guys. Once again today I was firing the huge Great Western 2-8-0 No3803, with Driver Pockets. It was a 5:30am start today for a 'Footplate Experience' course, which requires us to leave shed at 9am. We had a new trainee with us today: Richard: who was inspired to join the steam department after his attendance at my MTEW in April. 3803 steamed up nicely on a fire that Pockets (Andy) had lit. I meanwhile went around the locomotive, performing the Fitness-to-Run that is done each morning and of course doing the oiling up across the locomotive's countless oiling points. As the rain fell, we pulled out of the shed at around 8:45am ready for the 'Foot-Ex'. I always enjoy doing these courses as I enjoy seeing other people enjoy something that we help to keep running. Our participant today was a Church Minister and so it was politeness all around on the footplate...much to his annoyance! Following an enjoyable 'Foot-Ex' we had 5 round trips of the line to complete with the 38'. I fired the first run and drove the 2nd with Pockets firing. The third & fourth trip allowed me to let Richard fire with much assistance from myself: it was his first time. The locomotive continued to perform well and I drove the final trip...
3803 - At Shenton
I must thank Pockets for a cracking day on 3803 with him and Richard, as well as thanking Pockets again for rostering me as he is the Roster Clerk! The 38' seems to be performing well at Shackerstone and finds the 4-coaches she has to pull positively child's play! Cheers guys - Sam...

No comments: