Sunday 5 July 2015

Calling In At Bure Valley...

Hi all. A very quick call in this one - I'm afraid rain stopped play. The 15" gauge Bure Valley Railway runs for 9 miles between Aylsham and Wroxham in Norfolk. As myself & Maisie were away this weekend up there, we decided to pop in. The weather wasn't playing ball - it was wet, windy and completely miserable. We arrived at the BVR base of Aylsham station at around 12:20 and immediately spotted 2-6-4 Tank "Mark Timothy", built in 1999. The driver was oiling up ready for the next trip, albeit under the sanctuary of the station roof! Soon enough, the engine pulled forward to begin the run round...
The Bure Valley runs on the trackbed of the old East Norfolk Railway, which saw its last BR passengers in 1952. This part of the route was reopened for preservation as a 15" concern in 1990. "Mark Timothy" is designed around a Leek & Manifold type and is one of five steam loco's resident here. Its a Winson's design at heart so I was surprised in fact that it actually works (dare I say). Its a very pretty and powerful looking thing...
I stood for a short while watching the 2-6-4 simmer in the persistent rain before heading back along the platform. I relieved myself of a tenner in the impressive shop before returning to the car for a ride into Norwich. We would have ridden on the train had the rain given in but I didn't want to have a wet day out and not enjoy my first outing on the BVR. Maybe next time...

No comments: