Monday 20 August 2018

A Stafford & A Steam Launch...

Hi all. After a 'train free day' yesterday I nipped out for a couple of hours this afternoon to the private 7.25" gauge railway at Pailton. Norfolk's one and only "I didn't know there was a 6 o'clock in the morning" man 'Eddie the Late' was over there running his chunky Stafford saddle tank so I couldn't resist being there to provide some light hearted encouragement from the lineside! The Fairfield railway has featured on this blog a couple of times and I've completed a few driving turns in years past at today's annual car rally with enjoyable memories of those occasions. I arrived at around 13:30 and wandered steadily across the lawn towards the station, passing a few trains on route. Ed was brewing up on the second road in readiness for another lap of the track. He looked disappointed to see me and the lazy needle on his pressure gauge soon revealed why! I was then kindly invited to drive a couple of laps on the big Stafford, much to my delight.

I hadn't driven the engine for a few years and so it took a good half a lap to get used to all the extra goings on when you're driving a miniature loco. Leaving the station, the railway hugs the lakeside before reaching a set of facing points where the driver can set the direction via the flick of a switch. Road set, I dropped down the steep gradient towards Pailton's answer to the Newark flat crossing before pulling up at the water tower. The pressure was still fairly unresponsive - a sure sign of a clinkered fire atop the shallow marine grate. Whilst the engine brewed up, I took on some water...
Returning to the station after skirting the back field, I arrived with the job in a slightly better state of affairs. Ed did say that the engine had been running for a few hours and these days with the arguably poor quality of most steam coals a clinkered fire is inevitable. After another lap on the handle I pulled into the headshunt to allow other trains to pass by whilst I cleaned the fire. Having pulled out some fairly sizeable lumps of clinker and set a fresh fire bed with some good lumps of coal, the Stafford quickly came back to life. The telltale roar from behind the firehole door was joined by some energetic needle movement towards the red line. Soon enough, working pressure was reached and Ed steamed off to haul more passengers...
Ed has gone through three 7.25" engines during his exploration of the gauge but this one - "Archie Mk III" - definitely seems to be the keeper. Station Road Steam's popular saddle tank offers a strong, stable and arguably fast engine capable of most club running situations. I really like the engine; it's very pleasant and responsive to drive with all the adhesive weight you could ever need. SRS even offer larger versions for estate railway applications and these must be monstrous as the 'standard' Stafford alone is a large loco. Cheers Ed for the drive, always a pleasure... 
With Ed continuing to lap the fields amongst the colourful abundance of other steamers and electrics on the track, I wandered over for a ride on the steam launch. I hadn't had a ride on the boat for some years so felt it was time to refresh my memory. Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce "Roundtuit"...
The Pailton 'pond' is basically a small lake and the steam launch offers trips of two laps per time from the small pontoon. She is an absolutely wonderful thing. I believe she is built from a mix of components that the builder sought from various locations. He, like many engineers, is a man of many projects - hence the name "Roundtuit". Boarding the launch, I took a seat alongside the boiler and compound engine...
The short sailing was ably skippered by Emma who it was nice to chat to again after a few years. She explained that the launch is wood fired but goes better on coal, the former fuel being used simply because of the large amount on site. I love a nice steam boat, there's something wonderfully relaxing about the whole experience. The typical Windermere Kettle can be seen bolted to the boiler...
After my pleasant boat ride I went back to Eddie who was just coming off the track ready to dispose. The Stafford had put in a good few more hard working miles...
Following a final chat with my old pal Ed I decided it was time for home at around 15:30. My thanks to the owners of the Fairfield railway for their hospitality and to Ed for allowing me to drive his lovely engine again. Next weekend I have Tyseley and Evesham booked. Roll on. Cheers all, Sam...

No comments: