Sunday 5 August 2018

Tyseley: Castle Class Engines At Rest...

When people argue about who had the most beautiful steam engines, I'm afraid that for me there is little contest for the Great Western Railway. Their Castle class locomotives in particular are a striking, muscular breed of express passenger engine that would struggle to be rivalled by much else. Today I was at the former 84E at Tyseley Locomotive Works in Birmingham for another volunteer Saturday spent amongst their fine fleet. It was a quieter day today, with only a few of the team in attendance. I was put to work helping with a few little jobs amongst the fine trio of Castle Class 4-6-0s. After spending a little time on 5043, I was moved onto doing a few tasks for 7029 "Clun Castle". Upstairs in the coal stage lives the only single chimney Castle of the trio: No5080 "Defiant". Having last steamed in the 1990s, 5080 is subject to a restoration appeal which I believe interested parties can still donate to. For now she rests upstairs alongside "Kolhapur". Can you help "Defiant" steam again?...
Built at Swindon as "Ogmore Castle" in 1939, 5080 was renamed "Defiant" in 1941. Bought by Tyseley from Barry Scrapyard in 1974 as the 62nd engine to leave, 5080 was originally planned to be a spares donor for 7029. A reprieve came in 1988 when the engine was restored and she had a brief main line return before undertaking a tour of a few preserved railways. I'd love to see this single chimney beauty return to steam. It would be interesting to see just how good a 'normal' Castle could be if work to the standard of 5043 & 7029 was put in. For now though, like so many things steam related, "perchance it is not dead but sleepeth"...
I spent my afternoon on and around 7029 before heading for home just after 16:00. I hope to be back at 84E the weekend after next. Next weekend is going to be a 'train-free' one I believe. Despite thoughts to the contrary, it is possible to get "all train-ed out"! If you wish to see Tyseley's beautiful trio of Great Western thoroughbred's together, I recommend the September open weekend where we'll be celebrating 50 years of Tyseley. The three will no doubt be posed together at that do. Don't miss it - it's going to be a whopper. Until next time, Sam...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Sam,
My name is Phil Jervis .Together with my son Matthew we recently bought RSH 7537 at Shackerstone.I understand from my long standing friend and co-volunteer Martyn Ashworth that you were perhaps involved with John Britain with this loco.I worked with Martyn on the Worth Valley and for ten years with the rebuilding of Edward Sholto,Hudswell Clarke and Hunslet 1215.
I was one of the co-owners of Jinty 47279 and for the last 10 years have worked part time for Ian Howitt of Wakefield,builder of Tornado's tender frames. Matthew is a boilersmith,self employed after training at Llangollen Rly.
I would be grateful for any light you can shed on No. 7537.
Thanks Phil

Sam Brandist said...

Hi there Phil. Great to hear you have liberated (or plan to liberate) 7537 as it’s been entombed there for far too long and I’d love to see it run. I was heavily involved in Shackerstone from 2007 to around 2015 but since then have remained an infrequent volunteer for the odd steam turn here and there, along with friend John Britain. John I’m sure will be keen to help and see 7537 restored also. It depends really what you’d like to know. If you drop me an email to sam.brandist@gmail.com I can pass on details for myself and John so you can get in touch. Because 7537 was out of ticket (and in a million pieces) by the time I went to Shackerstone I think it will be John that can help more. However, we can also probably find contacts for Dave Pratley who owned 7537 from its preservation and running tickets before selling it to the railway when its last 10 year ended. Thanks Phil , speak soon, Sam

Phil said...

The GWR certainly made handsome machines, but I understand they are quite time consuming to prepare with myriad oil points? Don't worry about train fatigue Sam, I'm sure you've had time off since the 4th August and have been back out on the mainline since. We, you're reading public, await with interest your next blog post..

Sam Brandist said...

Hi there Phil. Yes there are many engines from the many companies that are handsome and attractive but to me the Great Western engines embody the most beauty. Don't get me wrong, the Duchess is a wonderful engine that is hard to rival but of all the companies the Great Western with its copper caps, nameplates and brass bonnets stands above on the whole. The oiling issue has been a common moaning point in preservation about GWR engines. It used to be said that if a Great Western engine fell into the sea it would float due to the amount of corks in it! In my opinion though they aren't much worse than anything else. Engines like the 3F Jinty or even the LSWR T9 are just as much hassle as a Pannier or Prairie. A Castle with its four cylinder inside motion have more corks but at least they are divided drive, unlike the Princess Royal which has even more! The debate goes on. I am miles behind on the posts. I did two short ones tonight but there are at least 6 or 7 more to come soon to catch up!!! Kind Regards, Sam