Sunday 6 February 2022

A Wet Morning In Loughborough...

Some mornings you get up and you just think "shall I go back to bed?". Not always, but sometimes. This was one of those mornings! I rose just before 05:00 in readiness to head over to the GCR for another cleaning turn. When I went to bed the weather was fairly calm and so I was shocked upon opening the shutters this morning to see howling wind and rain! It was literally raining sideways. The usual back and forth of shall I or shan't I went on for a few minutes before I decided I'd go for it. In my old age (I've just turned 30 and I'm not dealing with it well!) my motivation for all weather outings is much reduced. Eddie often recounts stories of my previous disregard for weather conditions but not these days, not with these knees! However, when all said and done, we must go to get these turns in. I arrived a little after 06:30 and met up with fellow cleaner Dave before we helped prep Ivatt 46521. It was amazing though how the weather changed. By the time 10:00 came around the sky was blue, the sun was shining and the air was clear. Here, visiting "257 Squadron" (with some connections split ready for homeward transport) stands basking in the unexpected sunshine...
The Ivatt was booked on the normal service train today, with the Sunday lunch diner to be hauled by the 2-10-0 9F No92214. Here she stands over the pit just after I'd fitted "The Elizabethan" headboard. The change in weather was unbelievable...
I had a prior appointment to attend at 12:00 so didn't hang around too long today. Despite the foul weather for the early start it turned into a pleasant few hours on the shed. That's another turn ticked off! Cheers all, Sam...
Please note any views or opinions expressed in this blog are merely personal and do not in any way represent the views or opinions of any other person, group or organisation.

No comments: