Friday 11 February 2022

Achilles Report No76: The Resurrection...

It's funny how time passes. It's only when you take a minute to look back that you come to realize how long ago something was. For example, I had in my mind that it was this Christmas just gone that I'd steamed "Achilles" last...it wasn't...it was the one before! I can't believe it's 14 months almost since we were outside the workshop steaming on the rollers. I decided based on this knowledge that I really need to sort myself out and get at least one of the engines back into ticket. Therefore, I did the unthinkable: I booked in with Derek for a boiler test (my first since 2015). Last time I steamed the engine it had performed pretty much faultlessly, so much so in fact that I'd kept it in steam for a good few hours. With the boiler test booked for this coming Saturday, I spent this week giving the engine a good check over. I also gave it a rushed steaming at home to check the pumps as you never know when that fickle finger of fate may strike...
Once again, apart from a few little niggles, the engine steamed and ran pretty much faultlessly and seemed content to sit on the red line ticking away on its rollers...
In steam proving run complete, it was back into the workshop for a clean down. I also needed to prepare the tank engine for the hydraulic test (the little engine version of a cold test) which involves blanking the pressure gauge and one of the safety valves. The test kit is then screwed into the remaining safety valve bush using a male-male fitting. The boiler can then be pumped up with water to one and a half times working pressure to perform the shell test. With the hydraulic test complete, you can swap the fittings back and use the water in the boiler to get steam up for the actual steam test...
With the engine all ready to go and her various toolboxes gathered up, all that remained was to give her a good clean. I always like to see the engine go out well presented and so I set to work with my various brass cleaners and the body polish. By the time I'd finished: apart from a few wear marks: I had a very shiny little engine...
You may notice in the final picture that the engine has received her dummy whistle back on the cab spectacle plate. She had that when I got her in 2011 but, having removed it for repainting a few years ago, I never got around to putting it back on. This week I polished it heavily and did a bit of fettling on it to make it fit as it always sat slightly proud of the cab roof. I think it finishes the cab front off nicely, despite being slightly over scale. Here's hoping we pass the boiler test! Cheers all, Sam...

No comments: