Friday 29 December 2023

Going Great Central: Betwixtmas on the 9F...

And just like that, I've completed my final footplate turn of 2023! Today I was rostered for a 06:45 book on at the Great Central's Loughborough shed, ready to work two trips as part of the railway's Betwixtmas Steam Days. This morning, early but certainly not bright, I arrived at the engine shed a little after 06:15, in dry but very breezy conditions. Having signed in and read the notices, I noticed that myself and driver Bill were penned to the mighty 1959-built 9F 92214 again. Regular readers will know that I had a cracking day with this fine machine a few weeks ago, when JB joined us on the footplate for a morning on the 'Santa Express'. It was no hardship for me to be rostered on the big 2-10-0 again, especially when she is due to bow out for her 10-yearly overhaul before the spring. Whilst in the signing on hut, I decided to prepare some lamps for the engine. A pair of BR(E) lamps were soon filled, cleaned and ready for service. These were duly fitted to the waiting 9F...
I wasn't long at the foot of the steps of this big engine when driver Bill arrived. My first job was to have a check around in the cab. All looked well, with 1/2 a glass of water in the boiler and 40psi still on the clock from yesterday's efforts. Peering into the firebox revealed a fairly clinkered fire grate and, despite Mr Riddles' very much appreciated rocking grate, it can't be rocked in that state otherwise it will all get stuck. Therefore, headtorch on and brush in hand, it was time to enter the firebox and give everything a good cleanout. The current coal in the 9F's tender is South African stuff, which appears to have quite a few impurities in it. The clinker I was taking out was weightier than anything else I've seen before, almost like granite! After five minutes or so thrashing around atop the grate, I had things in a state where the grate could be rocked and the remaining ash transferred to the ashpan.

The grate was now in a fit position for lighting up and so, with Bill now kindly piling wood into the cab along with some paraffin-soaked rags, all I had to do was check the smokebox before lighting up. All was well in the front end and it just needed a quick brush out. Notice the five rows of superheater flues behind the double blastpipe and the two large steam pipes snaking out to meet the 20" cylinders...
With all checks made and the engine safe for lighting up, I threw a good bed of coal across the freshly cleaned bars before refitting the deflector plate. I then started throwing in some wood, along with some lit paraffin-soaked rags...
The engine started to sing almost immediately and, with two barrows of good, dry wood now crackling away in the firebox, I closed the doors and let her get on with it for a while. Once the fire is lit you can tend to sit back for two minutes and have a breather as the worst (for now) is over. Cleaner Alex soon appeared at the cab doorway with a very much appreciated, steaming hot cup of tea which was enjoyed whilst I planned my next move. Bill meanwhile was oiling up the engine's Walschaert's motion...
As the light came up, I could lose the headtorch and start to get around the engine more easily. Bill had opted to get the axlebox keeps done fairly early, which then allowed me to get on with the engine's fairly choked ashpan. There are four side pockets to do on the 9F: two per side. These allow you access to the shallower areas of the pan, where the wide firebox crosses over the frames. The main ashpan then has rocker doors which serve to remove the bulk of the ash. Despite the mod cons that Riddles employed, the ashpan still needs some encouragement from underneath, as the damper doors themselves tend to get clogged with accumulated ash. Therefore a trip underneath with the hose is necessary to coax everything down and ensure a good, thorough clean. Pan done and oiling complete, the engine wasn't far off ready for service as the steam pressure needle continued to steadily rise. My next job was to scale the tender and drag some coal down from the back. This job presented the unusual view below, with "Witherslack Hall" raising steam alongside...
At this point we would normally give the engine a good clean but next week she is taking part in a couple of photo charters and so, to keep things realistic, the 9F will appear in her 'working clothes'. I therefore decided to start cleaning up the cab and to give the backhead a wipe down as our off-shed time drew steadily nearer...
Below, the impressive 9F stands ready for action...
Once washed and changed, I rejoined Bill and 92214 ready to depart the shed. Our first move took us through to Loughborough's carriage sidings, via the down loop. Once inside the peg, the engine was screwed down whilst we awaited 8F 48305 to return from Swithland with our booked 10:40 freight train...
During this early break, Bill kindly made us another nice, hot cuppa' whilst we awaited our next move. The 8F soon clanked in from Quorn, coming to a stand in the down loop with the impressive rake of tanker wagons. These were duly picked up by us before we departed (five minutes down) for Swithland. The engine was steaming okay so far on the South African coal, although I found on that first run that it did burn away very quickly, particularly across the middle of the shallow grate. I therefore elected to fire it a little thicker, which seemed to do the trick. Once at Swithland, we uncoupled before running round via the route indicator signal and a quick 'bang road' run on the up line to reach the opposite end of our returning freight train...
Once coupled back on to the tankers, we were held in Swithland's up loop whilst we awaited the next up passenger train, hauled by the 8F...
"8F 48305 rushes past 92214 with an up passenger train"
With the 8F having cleared the Swithland to Rothley section with her passenger working, we were given the up loop starter to propel our freight train backwards out onto the up to get behind the route indicator signal. Once on the up line, the route indicator gave us the 'DM' board (down main) and we were signalled to depart for Loughborough, via Quorn. The engine steamed even better on this returning trip with a slightly thicker fire, although I was careful not to thicken it too much and cause clinker. Upon arrival at Loughborough we uncoupled again before a brisk run round, stopping briefly to top up the tender at the water column on our way round. The engine then took a five-coach passenger train to Leicester North, steaming beautifully. I was relieved I must admit, as reports of the coal from the previous days hadn't been encouraging! Once at Leicester, Bill kindly offered me the regulator for the return trip...
"In the driver's seat of 92214"
Leaving Leicester North on time at the helm of the mighty 9F, I felt quite on top of the world. Having driven the class 2 and class 5 Standards, I'd say that the 9er is much more pleasant to sit on and drive. I think it's because the bigger boiler brings everything a little closer to the seat so you don't have to stretch as much to reach everything. I found the 9F incredibly comfortable to drive and it was a pleasure to take her back to Loughborough today. I'm very grateful to Bill for the drive: it was most appreciated and very unexpected! As for the 9F...what a beast. You wind her back to 40% and she moves effortlessly, with five coaches being hardly noticed let alone a hindrance! A very nice machine and a pleasure to drive and fire. Upon our return to Loughborough I was relieved by the oncoming fireman Rob before heading back to the shed to wash and change after a very pleasant morning out.

Having signed out and loaded my ever growing mound of rubbish back into the car, I drove home reflecting on a great year's firing at the Great Central. According to my calculations I've completed 15 firing turns on the GCR since I passed my firing exam at the end of May. The turns have been all sorts: some mornings, some afternoons and some night jobs. The engines have been varied, with the Saint and the Hall scratching the GWR itch, whilst the 8F and the class 2, 5 and 9 Standards have offered me something different to try. It's been a great year and I'm already looking forward to 2024. I'm so glad that I've managed to get passed out at the GCR and so far I've found it to be an enjoyable and enriching experience. Roll on next year! Happy New Year to everyone who reads this drivel. I'm next on again on January 6th...
Please note any views or opinions expressed in this blog are merely personal and do not in any way represent the views or opinions of any other person, group or organisation.

2 comments:

Phil L said...

Happy New Year - keep the drivel coming!

Sam Brandist said...

Nice to see that you're still reading, Phil! Many thanks