Sunday 24 July 2011

Achilles Report No3: An Outing To The GEC...

Hello everybody. Today, as the sun shone, I got "Achilles" loaded into the car ready for a little outing to the GEC Miniature Railway in Coventry. Today's event was not a public one; it was a club running day. Therefore, various locomotives were running on both the raised and ground level tracks. This seemed the perfect opportunity to take "Achilles" along for a try-out on the raised track. Arriving on site at around 1:30pm, "Achilles" was soon on the Turntable, before being reversed onto one of the steaming bays. By 2pm, the substantial 0-6-0T was in steam and back on the turntable. Soon enough, the loco was in the raised track station awaiting the green to go. I didn't take my driving truck along today; to save car space; so instead used one of the railway's own trucks. My loco was the first on the track and therefore had priority over the entire 600ft (or so) circuit for the time-being...
Steaming away from the station, the raised track climbs heavily, alongside the 7.25" line. At the top of the wooded bank, the line curves right as it flattens out. The rest of the run continues on a long straight, running parrallel with the driveway, before arriving back at the station. "Achilles" completed many laps, faultlessly. Mind you, the climb of the 1 in 50 or so bank is a little testing, particularly on low steam! It was a very enjoyable run indeed. Although the circuit is short, it is scenic and interesting. The raised track runs for the public every first Saturday in the month, until October. "Achilles" ran for around 90 minutes, completing countless laps of the fully signalled track; very nice indeed. At 3:30pm, "Achilles" left the track and chugged back up onto her steaming bay. I then disposed of the loco, putting away all my tools before leaving her to cool down a little. Both tracks were still operating busily and, sure enough, I got to drive a 7.25" loco; "Sammy" the Diesel. I'd never driven this powerful 0-4-0 before but, I must admit, it ran very well and seemed powerful...

After taking "Sammy" on 2-3 return trips up and down the line, I decided to hand her back to her owner (Malcolm) and load up "Achilles". I did enjoy driving the diesel, though, my friend's Romulus ("James") is still my favourite at the GEC. Below, a short video I took on my phone; sorry about the low quality!...

Leaving GEC at 5:15pm, I got home in good time, ready to unload the loco and put my things away. I must admit, a very enjoyable afternoon. The loco will next be at GEC on Saturday August 6th, hopefully taking part in some public running. Thanks for reading folks, and thank you to the GEC for once again making me very welcome. Evening all. Sam...

No comments: