Sunday 3 July 2011

The Most Generous Gift...

Hi guys. Hope everyone is well. Today I was up at Coventry Model Engineering Society for another 'Play Day' on 0-6-0T "Achilles". However, it turned into something much more, as ownership of the 5" gauge tank engine has now transferred to me. The loco's builder, Ken, has given me the most generous gift that I have ever received, and I am forever endebted to him for doing so. The honour is huge. About the loco: "Achilles" was finished in the early 1990s after being built over a period of 3 years. The loco has worn its blue livery since completion, though she has been recoated since. The name "Achilles" derives from one of the cruisers which fought in the Battle of the River Plate. The loco itself is designed by Reeves. Reeves did a powerful 0-4-0 called the 'Ajax' class, which was very popular. Following the popularity of 'Ajax', a second design was created which embodied a third driving axle, creating a chunky 0-6-0 with better adhesion than 'Ajax'. The loco is strong and runs well, as well as being free-steaming. In the future, I hope to run "Achilles" many times, in as many different places as possible! However, I am aware of the work and responsibility involved in owning a loco such as this. The opening image shows myself and Ken aboard "Achilles", prior to the hand-over. I am so pleased, I really am. Thank you, Ken; thank you so much. Look out for more runs with "Achilles" in the near future; she is planned to steam on July 17th at RPMR and on August 6th at GEC. Thank you all. Sam :)

No comments: