Thursday 14 July 2011

Mablethorpe Model Railway...

Hello all. Well, what a find this was; I didn't even know it was here! Hiding in the back room of a little cafe within the Mablethorpe Funfair, there is a wonderful 'O' Gauge Model Railway. "Monks Bay" is a huge layout, spectacularly modelled and very well kept. The attraction opened in April this year and admission is £2 for anyone over 1 metre in height. Modelled on the Cornish Riviera in the 1950s/1960s, the layout includes 17 different locomotives which haul several different consists around the varied layout. The layout includes a large station with intricate pointwork and a lovely signalbox, as well as a scrapyard, tunnels, many houses and figures and some lovingly detailed greenary. Everywhere you look there is something to see; your eyes are never without fresh views. All trackwork is by PECO and is laid in a professional manner. I've seen many layouts of all shapes and sizes, and in many cases; even with some of the best layouts; trackwork can be terrible. However, "Monks Bay" embodies everything that a good model railway should. To top it off, the staff are friendly and willing to chat. I spent around 20 minutes viewing the layout and, in that time, I vastly enjoyed myself. What a lovely little attraction in an odd setting; well worth £2 of anybody's money. "Monks Bay"...
"Monks Bay"...
Below, a busy scene at the station as passenger trains arrive to exchange loads. A Great Western 4-6-0 has just pulled in with a mixed-liveried coaching set on the bay platform. An Ivatt Class 4 Mogul (Flying Pig) is just about to depart with a BR Mk1 set. In the yard, the 0-6-2 56xx Tank is taking a break from its shunting duties...
The Western 4-6-0 sits in the bay as passengers board...
"Monks Bay"...
The far end of the layout, near the entrance to the model railway, lies the scrapyard area. Up in the right hand side of the image are the 'Customs' offices. Two locomotives rest in the sidings as we await a train from the Fiddle Yard via the Tunnel Mouth...
Back in the yard, the 56xx 0-6-2 has just received its crew back from their lunch break and the steam brake has been released ready to recommence the shunting. I really like the attractive station at Monks Bay; very nice...
The 56xx stands alongside a typically GWR Loading Gauge, with the local Dairy Farmer delivering his produce in the background...
Down in a siding, a 45xx tank is waiting for duty. No crew on the footplate? Must be a warming fire job...
I do apologise for my terrible photography...I needed my tripod with me and didn't expect to find this lovely place! I wish the model railway all the luck in the world; a lovely little place to visit, especially for £2. I recommend it to anybody, I really do. The professional layout with very expensive model locomotives running an intensive service is something that really appeals to me. The only thing I do think is a shame is that it may only be enthusiasts like myself which can appreciate all the work, effort and time that has gone into this project. However, saying that, families will think its a great little place; the kids will love it. Good luck to everyone at Monks Bay! For more info you can visit their website at http://www.monksbaymodelrailway.co.uk/ . Well folks, after my visit to the model railway we proceeded off to the town. Evening all, I hope you enjoyed reading...

No comments: