Monday 5 September 2011

Hello "Sir Gomer", Goodbye "Mayflower" :'(

Hey everybody. Today I was in the Platform 2 Shop at Shackerstone, selling everything from fridge magnets, to posters and many Thomas goodies too. As there was yesterday, there were 6 train trips running again today to bring passengers to the delights of ShackFest, or to just provide return trips from Shack. Services were again in the capable hands of 3803 and "Mayflower", alternating one turn at a time. The third engine was "Sir Gomer", back in action and strutting her stuff as Station Pilot. I must admit, I was very proud to see her moving again. The regulator problem from last week was rectified a few days ago with "Sir Gomer" later being granted a steam certificate, allowing her to run for 10 years. Her boiler seemed very tight indeed, and her valve timing also seemed alot better. During the day she was hissing around the place, bedding herself back in after 3 years out of use. The return of the Peckett is a very proud day for all of us, allowing the loco to leave Shack on Wednesday this week for the Pontypool railway in Wales, where she will be in action at their gala in two weeks time. But, allas, with the return of one engine, we lose another. The beautiful B1 "Mayflower", having been based at Shack for the last 4 years, will be leaving us in 8 days time, and was enjoying her last day in service with us today. The 4-6-0 will heading to Barrow Hill for their gala before returning to her owner's works in Birmingham following expiry of her boiler ticket in early November. So, here she is, resting in steam in Platform 1 for the last time...
I will be very sad to see the B1 go as I've had many lovely day's on her footplate. She has, in my mind, been the savior of Shackerstone, providing steam service when we had no other engine, with "Sir G" out of action. Through thick and thin, rain, sun and snow, the B1 was there, pulling our trains with distinction and never ending pride in her appearance. I wish the engine and her owning family luck in the future. You never know, she may be back following overhaul next year but, for now, she's going away. On a lighter note, all three engines performed well all day, with "Sir Gomer" proving popular around the station, especially with many members who had never seen her before!...
In the shop, it was business as usual. I must admit though, I did sell quite a few A3 prints of "Mayflower", whether that was due to its last day or not, I don't know! I also sold quite a few Fridge Magnets with "Gomer" on; fame at last! Passengers just seemed to want to buy Souvenir's of engines they saw; fair enough, more in the till for us! Later in the day, I got a few footplate rides on "Sir G", and even managed a bit of firing and injector use; to rekindle my memory! Last time I was on this engine was August 2008...way back! But, thankfully, she's now back in action and raring to go. She leaves on Wednesday, following a Loaded Test tomorrow. I will joining her in Wales for the first day of the gala on Friday September 16th. Look out for a post on that as it happens. Next weekend? I'm back at Shack on Sunday but, due to "Gomer" having left and 3803 being already staffed, I think I'll be on Jessie again, looking forward to my Welsh outing with the Mountain Ash Peckett! Thanks everyone. Good evening...

No comments: