Sunday 2 October 2011

Achilles Report No5: She's Back!...

Hello everyone. Well, "Achilles" post No5 is here and, thank goodness, she is back in action again! Regular readers will remember that in early August; whilst on a visit to the GEC; the engine suffered a slipped eccentric on the mechanical water pump between the frames. Following a clean down, this problem was repaired within a week. However, when I steamed the engine up at home to check the freedom on the replaced eccentric, I saw alot of water gushing out from underneath. This was soon recognised as a broken silver-soldered joint. A crack had obviously formed in the fitting, growing over time as this joint is constantly under pressure when water is being pumped into the boiler, sometimes carrying pressure as high as 90psi. So, with no means of getting water into the boiler besides the handpump, I failed the loco again. With the engine stripped down, the old fitting was obviously beyond repair and so a new one had to be made. So, today, the engine returned to work fully water-tight and steaming well, thanks to alot of kind help from fellow CMES members Reg and Gary, as well as the engine's builder; Ken. Thank goodness, I am so relieved...
Today was a normal members running day at RPMR and a few loco's turned up besides mine. We arrived at just before 1pm and were in steam before 1:30. The loco gave many rides during the afternoon, hauling two cars easily along the track and up the lengthy 1 in 70 incline. I was very pleased with the loco's performance and ability to steam. The water pump was also running well; top notch!...
I must admit, it was a very nice afternoon in the sun with my engine. I loved it. Lets hope I have more days like this; problem free!...
Below, "Achilles" climbs to the summit of the 1 in 70 incline, hauling two cars. I'm driving, and the loco climbs easily to the top of the bank with very little effort...

The loco finally left the track at just after 4pm, still steaming well and running perfectly. I must admit, I am very pleased with the engine after today. She will probably be at RMPR again in a month's time for another members day. Before that though, she has an appointment at the Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition, where she is due to go on the CMES stand throughout the show. Thanks for reading folks, and thanks to Ken, Gary and Reg for helping me get the engine back into steam again. Lets hope she continues to run as well as she did today! Evening all...

No comments: