Saturday 15 October 2011

Along Came Polly...

Hi all. Well, straight after work at 12pm I jumped in the Saxo and headed off up the Fosseway to the Warwickshire Exhibition Centre. The WEC hosts the annual Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition, and today was the first day of five. It was a very good show, with many models on display of varying types and sizes (more on those in tomorrow's post though!). Today; after a quick visit last night to drop off "Achilles" for her appearance on the club stand; I was due to be driving on CMES' portable 5" gauge track. The locomotive was again provided by Polly Models, as it has been in previous years. As usual, it was their demonstrator; "Polly V"; a brass liveried 2-6-0 side tank kitted out with two injectors, a weir pump and a chime whistle amongst other things. I must admit, in previous years we have had trouble with this engine. Either it didn't pull or it wouldn't steam. But, this year, I stand corrected...it was great! Apparently the valve gear has been retimed, the lubricator modified and the whole engine given a bit of an overhaul. I must admit, it went much better and I had no trouble driving or steaming the engine. My shift today was 1:30pm until 5pm, with Emma. A nice little afternoon. I'm on again tomorrow and looking forward to another day in the sun with other fellow steam enthusiasts. Fantastic. Evening all...

No comments: