Sunday 30 October 2011

Steaming Through The Night...GEC 2011...

Hello everybody. Well, here we are again; the GEC Night Run. This fabulous event arrives at the very end of October every year, allowing the GEC Miniature Railway in Coventry to shine. Trains run from 3pm - 8pm on both the 5" & 7.25" gauge tracks, with all rides being FREE (donations are of course very welcome). From 4:30pm, there is hot food available and there is always a selection of cakes and hot drinks for sale throughout! The trains continue running into the darkness and, as night falls, a bonfire is lit and illuminations are set. It really is a lovely occassion and the atmosphere is fantastic. I have driven at the Night Run three times now; including this year; and always enjoy myself immensely. This year, I arrived at 1pm to help set-up, decorate and of course to help test the 7.25" gauge track which I would be driving on. FREE bacon rolls were given out to the workers (Mmm, fantastic!). At 2:30pm my charge for the night ("James") arrived and myself & her owner (James) unloaded 'him' from his trailer. Once on the steaming bay, we filled and oiled the loco before I lit her up. By 3pm, we were on the stock ready for the first run; right on time! (I always light up with a good fire!). Throughout the afternoon and evening, myself and James shared the driving on his loco. It was lovely. The trains were packed and the queues never ending. At nightfall, the bonfire was lit...
My family also popped down for a few rides this afternoon, during which I drove "James". They always seem surprised at how fast the 7.25" trains go but, to me, its normal! As darkness drew in, the loco's had their lamps switched on and the prep area and station were floodlit. "James" also carried a torch for the water gauge glass. After all, though the fire is bright, it isn't enough to see everything!...
It's 7:21pm and the station is still packed. The ghostly Signalman looks on from the box in his usual pale manner...
"James" performed faultlessly throughout the evening, pulling even the heaviest loads with ease. Also on the track were "Luna"; the Sweet William; and Malcom's 'Warship' electric, with the 3 engines sharing the two sets of coaches. I must admit, if any engine had failed, we would have been rushed off our feet completely! Admittedly, "Luna" did miss a trip due to steam loss following some dragging brakes on the coaches, a turn which I took over immediately with "James". Even just running straight around that trip with no break and going straight back out was hard work. Luckily, no other problems occured. Throughout the evening, the fabulous 'Tea Room Ladies' were on fine form, delivering tea to the footplates of the engines; lovely! The Hot Dogs were also fantastic! Below, "James" (driven by owner), waits in the station passing loop for a path into the currently occupied platform...
On shed, little blue "Luna" is prepared for another pitch-black run...
"James" takes on water and coal before I take her out on another trip...
Owner James takes his engine away from the platform and into the yard before preparing for another outing (I hate to think how much mileage we clocked up tonight!)...
"James" on shed...

At 8:10pm, the last train left the station for a trip of the line. I had meanwhile taken "James" on shed and we then blew her down. After helping clean up, I left at just gone 9pm. All in all, it had been a fantastic evening. Donations had been encouraging and passenger numbers on both tracks through the roof. The engines had performed well and the food sold out. Best of all, no accidents, derailments or real delays for the 7.25"! Overall, a well organised event held by a little railway with alot of potential. As I say, I always enjoy this event; it is fantastic! I do hope they invite me back to drive again next year! ;) . Thanks to James for letting me drive his lovely engine again, and to all the staff who made the event a success. Finally, thanks to the amazing 'Tea Room Ladies' for their continued and always appreciated support. A very enjoyable evening indeed. I do hope I was of help. Thanks for reading folks - Goodnight...

No comments: