Monday 7 September 2009

The Shackerstone Festival 2009...

The Shackerstone Festival takes place annually, bringing many interested visitor's to the small farming village of Shackerstone. The show is organised by the Shackerstone Railway Society, the Ashby Canal Association and, last but not least, the villagers of Shackerstone themselves. Following the unfortunate cancellation (due to a total washout!) of last years festival, the chance of any future festival's rested on the fate of this one! Happily the show, through my eyes, seemed to be a complete sucess. Running over two days (September 5th/6th) the festival encorporated classic cars, farming vehicles, traction engines, steam rollers, narrowboats, model steamers, a miniature railway, trade stands, tombola, camel racing (unusual I know!), quad bike jumpshow displays, model aircraft displays, a funfair, train rides on the Battlefield Line and, as the showpiece, a one-off air display from the famous RAF Red Arrow display team. The Red Arrow's were sheduled for today only and began their fabulous display at midday sharp. All train movements around the Shackerstone Railway site were stopped so that the display could take place safely. I must admit, considering the speed they were probably travelling at, the precision of the pilot's was 2nd to none.
Following the well-worth seeing display by the Red Arrows I collected my free ticket (as I'm an SRS volunteer) and headed to the showground. To get there from the station was a relatively short walk down the meandering towpath, passing the countless narrowboats (both working & pleasure craft) which had turned up for the "boat rally" section of the festival. In the showground, as I counted, for my interest, were 4 full size steam vehicles and 5 miniature steam vehicles (not bad!). The favourite among the steam vehicles seemed to be the massive Fowler Showman's Engine "Repulse" which is a regular at local rally's. (I must admit I do have a framed print of this engine on my wall at home, proudly displaying the engine's slogan..."Mighty In War & Peace"). As I arrived in the showground, all of the full size engine's and 2 of the miniature engines were gathered in the 'Showground Arena' as the interested audience admired them. The above image shows "Repulse" leaving the Arena following the show. Next in the Arena were the "Model Helicopter Display Team" which were also well worth a viewing. After a little more walking I found the Burton-On-Trent Model Engineering Society who were giving steam train rides on their portable 5" gauge track for £1 a go. I didn't have a ride but I did have a good look at the three steamers they had with them. They were a 15XX 0-6-0 Speedy, an 0-4-0 'Conway' Saddle Tank and a Simplex 0-6-0 (in steam, pulling trains).
I then checked out the Shackerstone Railway Society stand and a model railway trader's stand before returning, via the towpath again, to the railway. At the railway, a special 5-train timetable was in use for the festival. The first train was hauled by Class 31 'Ped' 101 "Brush Veteran", with the other 4 main trains then being hauled by immaculate B1 No1306 "Mayflower". Also in steam was the interesting and unusual Aveiling & Porter Traction Engine (on rails!) No9449 "The Blue Circle". I spent most of the day helping with little bits and bobs on 9449 (watering, coaling etc). After the last train had left a special shunting movement was needed. The frames of 1859 "Sir Gomer" (still under overhaul) had to be moved by 9449 so that "Mayflower" could enter the shed first. That way, 9449 & "Sir Gomer" would be easily accessible as 1306 isn't out for 4 weeks or so now. This makes working on "Sir G" a little easily whilst also allowing 9449 to go out on its 'local tour' (to Hinckley Carnival!) next Sunday. I made my way to the shed and oiled all of 1859's outside moving parts (slides, crossheads, rods etc) before filling the mechanical lubricator and priming it (turning the handle 50+ times). I then put some steam oil down the steam chest feeds (as is practise) to keep them lubricated too. Before long, "Blue Circle" came into the shed and buffered up to "Sir Gomer".
After coupling the pair together I clambered onto 1859's frames and unscrewed the handbrake. 9449 then took the strain of the loco which is currently weighing only around 12 tons (due to lack of boiler, tank, cab etc!). After moving 1859 to the preparation yard, the road was clear for 1306 to arrive home, and she did so within around 15 minutes. It was then time for me to head home but following 1306 going into the shed, 9449 pushed "Sir Gomer" inside behind her. 9449 was then also inside the shed, safe & sound. All in all the festival seemed to be a sucess with many people turning up at both the showground & Shackerstone station itself. Well done to everyone who had a part in organising and running the show! I will next be at Shackerstone 2 weeks today, following my upcoming Somerset holiday at Blue Anchor, when the much-anticipated 2009 Autumn Diesel Gala will be taking place. The gala has been named "GRIDLOCK" as it will feature three preserved Class 56 diesel locomotives, one being a visitor from the Mid-Norfolk Railway named "Oystermouth". Thanks for reading all, good evening.

2 comments:

Chris Simmons said...

Of all the things you could take snaps of at Shack Fest we have an empty field, a traction engine and blue circle. What are you like?

Sam Brandist said...

Sorry Chris I was using my Mob phone cam (as I was too dirty to use my real one(!), and I haven't got a padlock on my locker yet) and the shutter speed cannot catch the Red Arrows! The pictures are just to give an idea of the show, I gave a good review! :)