Saturday 19 September 2009

Somerset Holiday Post VIII (Final Post): One Last Look At The WSR...

Today was our final full day on holiday in Somerset and, typically, I couldn't resist one last look at the West Somerset Railway. Firstly, I knew for a fact that 4160, which had hauled the first train of the day all week, had been taken out of service for washout and so would be replaced by 9351. Therefore, the first thing to do was to see 9351! For this train I chose Blue Anchor Station. As mentioned in an earlier post, 9351 used to be a GWR Large Prairie, No5193. However, the WSR converted the engine to a 2-6-0 Mogul by removing the side tanks, rear pony truck and adding a 2500-gallon tender. The Mogul is seen below passing Blue Anchor crossing as she arrives at the station, bound for Bishops Lydeard. The Fireman has just exchanged tokens with the Signalman...
9351 is seen just before departure from Blue Anchor. Can anybody honestly see anything which would suggest that she used to be a tank engine?!...
After spotting 9351 we headed into Minehead for one last look around. Of course, I couldn't pass the station without getting a picture of 4160 (with smokebox door open) going into her boiler washout (see title image). The Large Prairie would undergo washout before being 'put back together' and then steam tested before being released back into service. Leaving Minehead it was off back to base. However, I wasn't sitting still for long as the 3:25pm departure from Blue Anchor Station was looming and I had the 15 minute or so walk to Ker Moor Crossing to endure first! The 3:25pm departure was hauled by the massive GWR 2-8-0 38XX No3850 which, as she had been most of the week, was hauling an 8-coach rake. The engine coasted out of Blue Anchor before accelerating. She then shut off just after the crossing. Thanks for the "clag" driver! The result of my free-hand photography can be seen below...
Following the above shot I walked back to base before enjoying a nice 'cuppa'. The last train of my holiday would be the 5:16pm departure from Blue Anchor, featuring 9351 herself. I made it back to the crossing again, witnessing the final train in the opposite direction (the DMU) before awaiting the ex-Prairie. 9351 waited until her train had fully passed over the station points before barking towards us. The engine chugged past us at a leisurely rate and headed off happily towards Minehead. The result, in the last of the days sunlight, can be seen below...
Well, I thought, "thats it, home tomorrow"! I must admit, as much as I enjoyed the holiday I would be glad to get back home! However, I had had a fantastic time, seeing two railways that I had never visited before: The WSR & the LBR. I had been made very welcome at both railways and had emmensely enjoyed my visits! Both railways seem to have a two very prosporous futures ahead of them and I wish them well. Thanks to all who have followed our "holiday" posts and I hope you will continue to read this blog in the coming months! Evening All...

No comments: